Chapter 29: My Heart

With both hands in my pockets, nostrils flared, and sweat beading on my brow, I hastily walk through campus. A sharp glare at the remaining fly heads sends them parting in the blink of an eye. I have zero energy to fight.

Once I have steadied my pace and swept the water from my eyes, I make a sharp right into the convenience store. Sugary candy and popcorn are what I crave at this moment.

"What was that noise?"

"I don't know, Riko. Get behind me."

After the door clicks open, I hold a hand to my stomach, dropping the bag's contents onto the ground. The sharp pain makes me grunt! A sudden glare of light makes me crouch in place.

The two women freeze like deer caught by headlights. I get up and gesture at the food, only to be distracted by a knocking on the door. Wow! Can't a person get some peace after a crappy day at work! Nope!

Not when sorcerers are involved, money to be made, butts to be kissed, or families to keep together! I loathe sorcery with every fiber of my being. I take the apple from Riko's shaky hand, placing it on the table with unnecessary force. A third knock on the door makes me shake my head.

My knuckles clench at the sight of Yaga's back. I guess he got information from Gojo and Geto after all! How convenient! I clear my throat and force a smile on my face.

"Come inside." I leave the door open and walk into the kitchen. I am taking my time filling a pot with water.

The lack of movement makes my skin crawl and my stomach drop. I hold my breath for a few seconds before stepping outside the kitchen. Yaga, Riko, and Misato stare at each other. When the kettle starts hissing, I sneak back into the kitchen, emerging with a cup for each person.

Riko and Misato sit without hesitation. My instructor stands in place while looking around the room. After a few seconds, I follow his gaze: his eyes rest on the photo tucked inside my bag's outer pocket. His shoulders slump while he sits down. My heart does a flip-flop inside my chest.

"Miss Santa-Clara?

I blink rapidly, unaware my eyes dried up from staring at my cup. The pounding on my frontal lobe makes me rub my temples. I grind my teeth together trying to soothe the storm brewing in my mind. Riko fidgets with her cup while Yaga sits in silence. I look Misato in the eyes. She glances between Riko and me before tugging on Riko's sleeve. The two women excuse themselves before securing away from the table.

Once the bedroom door closes, I tap my middle and pointer finger together.

"What do you plan to do with the Star Plasma Vessel?"

"She has a name," I mutter between sips of tea.

Yaga turns his head to the side while folding his arms across his chest. I follow his line of sight to my bag. A silent breath leaves my mouth as I place the cup down. I rise slowly from my chair, rubbing my mid-back in the process. Each step toward the bag makes my legs feel like sandbags: my head slowly pulsates in time with my heartbeat. Shutting my eyes brings zero relief.

Once situated at the table, I pass the photo toward Yaga. He flips it over with the utmost care; his jaw opens halfway, revealing parted teeth. His eyes are downcast, fixing themselves on his former schoolmates.

My twenty-year-old mother and nineteen-year-old father hold a deep gaze as my mother receives accolades for making it to Grade 1 status. A small group of sorcerers stands behind them: smiling, clapping, and high-fiving.

"This was one of the best days of my life." I rub the back of my head at Yaga's words. His sudden half-grin makes me mimic his reaction.

"Not to sound rude, but..."