Chapter 15: Let's Get Ready to Rumble

I shut my eyes, shaking my head vigorously at the thought of Zyler. He has been gone for two years now but, it feels like he never truly left.

"We should join up with Satoru and Sakura." I watch the ground as Suguru follows behind me.

"I bet it is fun living with...nice of you to join us," Satoru shouts.

Sakura tucks her arm underneath mine and gently smiles at me. I try to smile back but, flash half my teeth instead. An orange-yellow glow bathes the concrete as we walk away from the apartment complex.

"Any idea why a curse manifested at your apartment?"

"Nope." I take a swig from my coffee, burning my mouth in the process. "...and I am looking forward to investigating per the Higher Up's demands." I roll my eyes while placing my cup on the table.

"You are funny. Now tell me about yourselves." Sakura props her chin on her knuckles. Her amber eyes glow while talking with my classmates. I clasp my elbows, leaning into the middle of the table, keeping up with the conversation.

My head nods up and down, allowing Suguru to invite me into the conversation.

"And how are you adapting to Jujutsu Tech?"

My head stops moving and my eyes dilate slightly.

"The adjustment is going well." I look at my coffee cup, trying to find what I should say next. "Thank you for the support during our mission last month."

I notice Sakura's eyes lose their glow when I bring up last month's mission. When her mouth turns into a hard line, I bite my lower lip. The shop owner starts closing out the register.

"Well, I am open to getting dinner and hanging out some more. Sakura and Blaise, are you interested?"

"Not tonight, Satoru. We need to find a place to sleep until things clear up at the apartment."

Sakura says nothing.

"You can stay on campus. We have dormitories and can arrange a room for Sakura as well."

Sakura clings to my arm for support.

"We will think about it Suguru. Take care!" I am staying calm and can tell it is feeding time for Sakura.

Sakura and I walk around a corner. Sakura leans her body weight onto me causing me to push back on her.

"Just a few more steps, then we can feed you. Hang in there."

___________________________________________________________________________________

"Are you thinking what I am thinking, Suguru?"

"Following Sakura and Blaise to see what they are up to."

Both of my classmates smile at each other.

"To think vampires are rare in Japan. But here is our newest, Jujutsu Tech edition, playing house with one. And the one we have in custody at the school...is a bit much" There is a playfulness in Satoru's voice.

"Try not to overthink what is happening. Sakura will not take more blood than necessary, and Blaise is capable of eliminating a vampire."

"I am not the one to worry about Blaise. That is your line of duty. I am more concerned with the Elders and Higher-Ups."

"You are just as concerned with her too. It may be for a different reason, but it is still there." A smug, yet gentle smile crosses Suguru's face.

Satoru's eyes look forward as he puts his hands in his pockets.