Chapter 30: Can't Take it Anymore!

My left eyebrow involuntarily twitches as the three of us head off. I let out a few audible breaths, causing Suguru to look over his shoulder.

"I have calmed down, stop worrying about me," I say while averting eye contact.

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2007: Tokyo Cursed College

The grounds are damp from the early morning rain. A broad grin grows on my face bird perches on my left shoulder.

"What is going on?" I turn around, facing Suguru. He stands next to Satoru. Both keep their hands inside their pockets.

"I have been feeling different, that is all." I turn away from them, keeping my eyes on the sky.

"We gathered that. Why?" The way Satoru's question comes out makes me look over my shoulder. A light mist reflects from my eyes.

Do I tell them about my sleepless nights?

"What is keeping you from talking with us? Are you afraid of something?" Satoru asks, trying not to yell.

I am afraid of a lot of things. Losing two more people is on the list. Hell, what is there to gain by keeping my feelings to myself?

I take a deep breath, placing my hands inside my pockets. A light dusting of blood runs over my palms. My shoulders touch my ears, making me freeze in place. My brow knits before I continue my speech.

"Thirteen was a shitty year for me. I left my brother behind at our foster home...for reasons, I am not delving into right now. When we reconnected, something seemed off with him." I tap my forehead with a sense of urgency. The bird flaps its wings quickly while chirping up a storm. "He claimed to feel okay; He just wanted to see his kid sister for old time's sake. The thing that gets me to this day, his foster parents did not claim the body! And I fought tooth and nail to see him at the morgue!"

My heart jerks inside my chest, causing me to hiccup. I cover my face trying to hide the flood coming from my eyes.

"I was at an all-time low and started giving up. I spiraled into a depression stronger than this one, got expelled from an international school, and nearly got caught by Jujutsu sorcerers." The corners of my cheeks rise at the sorcerer part.

A hand rests on my shoulder, bringing my ranting to an end. I bite my lower lip and look up at Satoru and Suguru. They say nothing regarding what I have shared. My body feels warm and tingly.

Suddenly my phone vibrates.

"Hey, you finally picked up!" Amina shouts, making me blink in confusion. "I have been trying to get a hold of you for the last three hours!"

I sniff quietly.

"What happened?" Her voice sounds concerned and exasperated. "Are the two cute boys with you?"

I clear my throat and turn my back. "Yes. And I just had a crying spell in front of them both." I wipe away a tear before it hits the ground. "Why are you calling?"

"She is safe." Amina places a hand over the phone. Muffled sounds come from the receiver, making my head prick slightly. "I will call you again tomorrow with an update." She hangs up.

Great! What happened with Riko this time around? I shake my head and hold my shoulders to my ears. A cup of coffee sounds good right now.

"How about we get off campus for the rest of the day?" Suguru suggests with a grin.

We walk in silence to the front gates. Right before we step out of the grounds, I grit my teeth. I turn around slowly, looking past my counterparts.

"What is this? Have I interrupted a private party?" The green-eyed monster asks sarcastically. "Are you crying, Santa-Clara? You seemed stronger the last time we met."