Chapter 11: Scariest Place on Earth, Evening 1

After our debrief, we go our separate ways for dinner. Something chews in the back of my head and I find myself heading away from the food stand.

"Evening. Thought I would come here and investigate by myself." I turn around and see Suguru's smiling face. "It looks like you have seen a ghost."

"Hey, looks like I am raining on your parade. Do you want to ride together?" My head nods up and down involuntarily. My eyes bug out when another question comes to mind.

"Where is Satoru?"

"Tormenting Ijichi or stuffing his face with sugar. What did you find at Space Mountain?" Well, talk about changing the subject.

"How did...Osamu reached out to us." Suguru gives me a toothless grin, confirming my assumption.

By the time the ride finishes, the sidewalks are tied off by rope. I bid Suguru farewell and grab food.

After chowing down on a few buns, I breathe a sigh of relief and smile. I walk quickly, zig-zagging through the crowds forming on the sidewalk. Once inside the alleyway, I take a detour...slowly jogging with a light heart.

The ladder is just out of my grasp. With my feet dangling in the air, I hoist myself up swinging my body onto the first landing. I scale the rest of the escape as quietly as possible. Yellow, red, and green light up the sky, illuminating the corps in front of me.

8:30 pm: Down in the Alleyway

"Interesting, I am the first one here. I wonder what is holding Santa-Clara up? She seems like the type to show up on time for meetings."

"Haibara, glad you made it. Where is everyone else? It is 8:30 already." Nanami announces with Ijichi walking close behind him.

Crash, thump.

"What was that?" Ijichi shouts while crouching behind Nanami. "Whoever you are, show yourself!"

"What a splendid surprise! Everyone is on time!" Satoru shouts loud enough to wake the dead.

"Satoru, we are ten minutes late. Where is Blaise?"

"Right here, everyone." I walk over to the group with a slight limp in my step and a fake smile on my face.

"Have a seat everyone, and feel free to eat or drink as you see fit." Osamu curtly states while walking into the conference room. I avert my eyes from the map plastered on the ceiling to look at the group.

I take a breath in and release it before saying, "There is a body on the roof of this building. I did not get a good look at their face, but they could be a missing patron."

"It would have shown up on the security cameras. Are you certain there is a body?"

"I did not see the cameras but, I was on the roof between 8:00 and 8:30."

Osamu lets out a sigh and addresses the room while everyone else gets comfortable.

"When I said to be subtle with your investigation, that was not an invitation to poke around in closed-off rides." He stares at me while talking. I shrug my shoulders, sit back in my chair and stare at the ceiling.

"Then why did you give us security badges? I was on Space Mountain when it experienced mechanical issues. Something force stopped the ride. The force felt unnatural...as if something grabbed hold of the ride." I am having a staring contest with the curse while saying this.

"The security badges are not a free ticket to do whatever you want. What are you looking at?"

"I am admiring the decor on the ceiling. You are welcome to ask my colleagues for their reports if you are finished chastising me." I am facing Osamu at this point.