Chapter 26: I Got a Favor

While Reverse-Curse expedites the healing process, there are limitations. Surpassing those limitations makes or breaks a sorcerer. Right now, every muscle fiber, bone fragment, and ligament in my body feels a blaze. Having my cursed energy compete with the pain medication is useless. I jolt up, making the heart monitor blare out of control!

Then I notice Businge. Bandages cover every inch of her face, her left arm dressed in a black cast. I look down at my hands, bound in dressings, protecting the stitches from my fingernails. My eyes dart to the door, meeting a young nurse on the verge of clocking off. Their smile makes me sheepishly wave.

As the last drop of green Jell-O slithers down my throat, I ease back into the bed's headboard. Businge has not moved an inch. My shoulders drop, and a sigh leaves my lips.

"There is no need to worry," Aamina's voice makes me stir in my bed, "she is strong and will pull through."

"I have been out for at least a day?" She nods her head up and down while tossing me a bag.

"And I am glad you are finally up." Aamina and I turn around simultaneously. "Check your phone."

Satoru and Suguru messaged me yesterday, saying Yaga went on a spontaneous trip. They did not say he would be traveling to Quebec. I force a stream of air from my rounded mouth and start tapping my left hand.

"I will see you tomorrow, Blaise" Aamina sees herself out, waving to Yaga while passing him.

"Are you coming inside or not?" I glare at Yaga.

He walks into the room, each step heavier than the first. Once situated, he hunches over, resting his elbows on his lap. The slightest tapping sounds come from his feet. I stop tapping, opting to scratch my neck instead.

"Before you ask," Yaga closes his eyes and rubs his face, "the Higher Ups did not send me here. Madam Lark reached out a few days ago."

I hold my chin with my thumb and forefinger, watching Businge's chest rise and fall.

"Should I expect the Higher Ups to visit too?" I let out a short sigh while swinging my legs off the side of my bed. "What about Satoru and Suguru?"

The IVs and heart monitors get louder as Yaga's presence grows quieter. As the nurse changes Busing's dressings, Yaga's face puckers up, making me grin. He bids me goodnight while following behind the nurse.

Sunday, June 16th, 2007: 3:30 am

I find it hard to sit in my wheelchair, moving my body left and right until I am outside. When the car pulls up, I clutch my bag hard, causing the bandages to brush my stitches. It takes every fiber of my being to keep my breathing steady. The car ride is everything but smooth.

Aamina's face glows under the gentle yellow light. She hands me a small package before darting away. My smile disappears the second I return to my room. I grab my phone and punch Suguru's number.

"Hello?" His groggy voice drowns in the bustling background noise.

"How many Elders are coming to Quebec?"

"What? Hold on a minute.."

My heart rate slowly escalates as the background noise from the phone grows louder and louder. I hang up immediately.

As I readjust my shirt for the third time, I hear someone clearing their throat. Aamina's presence makes it easier to walk inside Madam Lark's office. The smell of freshly brewed coffee makes me perk up.

"As I have shared, Miss Santa-Clara has been nothing short of professional. Her ability to take direction, function in a team, and follow-through are exquisite." I nearly choke on my beverage, making Aamina rub my back in support.