New Friends

"Is Osca Velm's someone's name?" Darren asked after Larten told his two assistants what the hall they were entering was. "Yes. Most halls are named after famous vampires."

"Pick out a pair of shoes, you two!" Gavner said as he struggled to put some on while standing up. Sloan settled for a pair of sandals and quickly scurried behind Gavner.

"Keep up, wolfy."

Sloan shot him and look and Gavner realised his mistake. "Sorry! Sorry! I forgot!" He said with a pat on her head. Sloan sat down on the left side of Mr Crepsley, lighting up when bread and a soup was set in front of her, along with three jugs.

"No cups?" Darren asked and Gavner shook his head from next to him. "Nope! You drink from the jug! Like this." Gavner picked up and just about chugged half the one with wine.

Darren almost died from trying it with water, making Sloan and Gavner bust out laughing at him. Sloan was about to start lapping her soup until she remembered the rest of the vampires around her unknown of her features and she picked up her spoon to begin eating.

"This is great!"

"The best!" Gavner agreed as him and Sloan both grabbed another piece of bread. She had already finished her soup and was going onto her seventh piece of bread at this point, feeling so exhausted and still hungry she wasn't even listening.

She noticed that Larten hadn't touched his soup and she pointed to it just as Darren commented. "No broth for you, Mr Crepsley?"

"Bat broth does not agree with me."

"Bat broth?!" Darren exclaimed as Sloan asked if she could have it. Larten slid it over to her and she happily thanked him before slurping it down in just a few moments.

"By the gods, Sloan, it's like you haven't eaten in years!" Gavner said and Sloan shrugged. "I've always had a big appetite." She said simply before grabbing Darren's bowl to finish his off.

Sloan heard footsteps approaching toward their table, her ears twitching anxiously under her cap before somebody sat down on the other side of her mentor.

"I was expecting you weeks ago, Larten. What took you so long?"

Larten lit up like a christmas tree. "Seba!" He said and quickly hugged the older vampire. "It has been a long time, old friend!" The new vampire said as he patted Larten's back.

"I often searched for you mentally, in hope that you were near. When I sensed you coming, I could hardly believe it!"

"Been awhile, Seba." Gavner said politely as he shook the older vampires hand. "Welcome, Gavner." He said with a smile before looking at Harkat with a slight frown.

"And that is...a little person?"

"This is Harkat Mulds." Larten introduced and Seba gave a soft smile. "A little person...and with a name, no less! I have not seen one since Mr Tiny visited us when I was a boy! Greetings, Harkat Mulds."

"Hello..." Harkat said quietly and Seba looked surprised. "He...talks?" He questioned as he looked at Larten. "We were all just as surprised." The orange haired vampire told him before motioning to the red haired girl and black haired boy standing on each side of him.

"And this is Darren Shan and Sloan, my assistants."

Seba seemed surprised but politely greeted them each with a handshake. "Greeting Darren...Sloan." He said with a soft smile. Sloan and Darren returned it politely.

Seba looked at the orange haired vampire. "You Larten, with two assistants?"

"I know." Larten said with a look on his face. "And both so young...the princes will not approve."