New Scents

Sloan glanced over at the door from where she laid with her face half stuffed in the pillow. Darren and Evra walked in with bags of items, giggling and talking.

"Hey Sloan-y, you feeling any better?"

The wolf girl sat up and yawned with a nod. "My headaches gone away. Probably from me finally falling asleep." She said and the boys grinned. "That's good." They said as they pulled out the items they got and began to show Sloan before turning on the tv to play video games and watch tv.

The next morning, Darren woke up Sloan and asked if she wanted to go into town with him. The wolf girl flattened her ears nervously and Darren frowned at her hesitation before it hit him.

"Oh yea! I forgot!" He said and grabbed one of the shopping bags he had and dug through it. He pulled out a large, red beanie and handed it to her with a smile. Sloan took it slowly with a shocked expression and stared at it for a moment.

"It's nothing special, but I knew you'd like it so you wouldn't have so many eyes on you."

Sloan hid the actual joy she felt, except for a small wag of her tail as she looked up at the black haired boy and whispered a "thank you." Before they ventured out into the new world for the red haired girl.

~

"You think Evra will like it?"

"With what I've heard these past few nights, I think he's gonna love it." Sloan said with a smirk as Darren fiddled with the Walkman. Darren chuckled and scratched the back of his neck.

"I guess we'll never make it on American idol, huh?"

"I heard you try to hit many of those notes...keyword try." Darren rolled his eyes and playfully shoved Sloan as she giggled. The two glanced into a store and stopped to look in the window to browse for anything else as a gift.

"Ahoy cap'n And crew!"

The two kids turned with a slight frown, locking eyes with a black haired girl who had a big grin on her face. "I like your costume. It's cool." She said and turned to Sloan. "And your beanie is super cute. Where'd you get it?"

Sloan's ears flattened nervously in the beanie and she stumbled to find her words. "Oh, uh, Darren, uh, my brother here, he—" "what Sloan is trying to say, is I got it for her from a store down over there." Darren pointed down the street and the girl nodded happily.

"You'll have to show me it! My names Debbie! Debbie Hemlock!" She said and held out her hand. Darren shook it with a smile. "Darren Shan, this is my sister Sloan." He said and Sloan gave a small smile while a sudden scent hit her nose that made her hold back a cringe.

Debbie looked guilty. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." She said quietly and Sloan looked surprised. "N-no, it's okay. I'm just, uh, kinda awkward around new people." What Sloan said was partially true.

On one hand, Sloan was truly awkward around new people, since she had this hidden fear of then finding out what she had and bolting to the hills, like some had done in the past. And she wanted to do her best to avoid that.

But on the other hand, she truthfully never expected compliments from someone, much less being at least noticed. In her hometown, she was also a ghost to most people, and she was never bothered on the streets.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I just wanted to make new friends, since I'm new here."

"Well we kinda are too, so maybe we can both try to find our way around here." Darren offered and Debbie giggled. "Darren, if you keep offering stuff like a gentleman, people will think you have a crush on me." Darren blushed lightly and laughed nervously as Sloan looked between the two before she thought to herself:

'So that's what I smell.'

~

Sloan walked next to Darren as he talked to Debbie, sniffing all the scents around her out of curiousness.

"Are you alright?"

Sloan looked over to Debbie, who was staring at her confused. "Uh, yea. Why do you ask?" She said nervously. "You've been sniffling a lot." Debbie said and Sloan laughed nervously. "Oh, it just must be a cold. Damn winter." She said as she rubbed her nose.

"Maybe we should get you something to help."

"Trust me, they come and go for me. I'll live." Sloan reassured with a small smile. Debbie didn't look convinced but still nodded and dropped the subject before they continued down the street.

After a few hours of shopping, Darren and Sloan helped Debbie get home safely as it turned to night.

"We never got your gloves." Sloan pointed out and Debbie face palmed. "Wow. The one thing I went out for." She said with a light laugh. "We can get them tomorrow." Darren said quickly and Sloan frowned at him.

"When we go get the gift for dad." Darren said as he shot a look to Sloan and the wolf girl nodded quickly. "Yea. We still need a gift for him." She backed up Darren's statement as Debbie turned to them. The two smiled widely and Debbie giggled.

"That sounds great! We should do a movie too! There's been one I've been dying to see!" She said and Darren and Sloan nodded eagerly. Debbie gave a look to Darren.

"Well?"

Darren swallowed. "What?" He asked innocently and Sloan frowned. "Aren't you going to ask me?" She asked and Darren looked confused. "Ask you what?" Sloan watched the two.

"Ask me to the movie! A lady never asks the man to a movie, even your sister." Sloan grinned and nodded. "It's true, Darren." She said and Darren sputtered for a moment out of shock and confusion before straightening up.

"Debbie—" Sloan elbowed him. "—Sloan—" he shot her a look as she smiled. "—will you go to the movies with me?" Debbie's smile disappeared and she went into thought for a moment before saying "I'll think about it." And disappeared inside to greet her parents.

Sloan busted out into laughter as Darren sputtered in confusion before exclaiming "girls! What a pain in the neck!"