Colliding Redheads

Ever since Sloan arrived at the Cirque, Evra has started to notice little details about her. Like how she liked to gulp down her food and gnaw on the scraps, how she could itch with her legs (which she didn't do often), how her ears usually reflected her emotions.

But it wasn't just the good ones.

The snake boy had noticed the scars on her stomach, on her hands and feet, and around her neck. He wanted to ask, but with how jumpy she was when she came to the Cirque, he held against it.

And he wanted to ask where she went when it happened to be a full moon and how he'd hear faint howling, but he couldn't bring himself to. It was like he knew it would be wrong.

And he decided to hold it in, until it was the right time.

~

"No, Sam."

"But why nottt?" The blonde haired boy whined. "Because, it's no place for humans." Sloan said, cocking an eyebrow. "There are plenty of humans here!" Sam told her. "Adults. Not children." Sam grumbled.

"Can't you just ask? Please?" He begged. "Mr Tall will say no." Evra told him. "At least try?" The young boy begged and the two freak show members sighed. "Sam..." Evra said gently and he pouted with his lips stuck out far.

"Pleaseeeeeeeeee—?"

The snake boy and wolf girl sighed. "Fine." They said simultaneously and the blonde haired boy lit up instantly before hugging the two together and jumping up and down.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank—"

"But, if Mr Tall says no—" Sloan poked his nose. "—that means no. Deal?" She asked and Sam nodded. "Yes ma'am! I understand!" He said while letting go and giving a dramatic salute that made Sloan and Evra chuckle.

"We'll ask tonight, okay? And we'll tell you what he said tomorrow morning, sound good?" Evra explained and Sam nodded happily. "Got it, tomorrow morning. Sounds amazing!" He said as he collected his bag and pulled out his jar of pickled onions.

"See you tomorrow then! Don't be late!" Sam exclaimed as he went off into the woods back to his house. Evra and Sloan nodded to him with a wave and watched him disappear into the woods, sighing as soon as he was out of sight.

"What're we going to do with that kid, Evra?"

"I don't know, my trusty canine...I don't know."

~

Sloan sniffed the air as she rounded the corner of some tents in the Cirque. She was trying to find Darren, who she hadn't seen since the morning chores. She knew he had to help Mr Crepsley, but she didn't think it'd take this long.

She noticed the scent get stronger as she passed another turn and she backed up to look down the walkway as she sniffed. Her nose was correct and lead her down the walkway, narrowing the brown haired boy down to a tent near Mr Tall's trailer.

She opened the tent entrance as she kept walking, only to run into somebody.

"Ah shit, my bad!" She exclaimed as she jumped back and looked up at the person she ran into. "Oh, hi Mr Crepsley." The red haired vampire looked unamused.

"Do you not know how to knock?"

"Does it look like there's anywhere to knock. It's a tent. Cmon, I thought vampires had more common sense than this." Larten rolled his eyes, which made Sloan grin obnoxiously.

"Why are you here?"

"I'm looking for your idiot assistant, have you seen him?"

"Well, that's one thing we can agree on." Larten did bluntly and Sloan chuckled before he answered. "He just left to go find food." Sloan grumbled in annoyance.

"I thought they weren't serving food till before the show? He's going early." Larten sighed. "Not your food, our food." He said and Sloan frowned for a moment before realizing what he meant.

"Ohhhh, blood. Wicked."

Larten rolled his eyes once again. "Yes, but just animal blood." Sloan frowned again as she watched him turn around and go toward one of his coats that was draped over a chest. "I thought half-vampires still needed human blood to live? I haven't heard about him drinking any recently." Sloan told the red haired vampire.

Larten glanced at her for a moment. "Both are true, but Darren is still living in the human world it seems." Sloan frowned. "What do you mean?" She asked with confusion and Larten turned with a tiny tube filled with dark red liquid in his hand.

"Darren is still attached to his human ways, and refuses to drink to live. He only drinks from animals right now, and that won't be able to keep him alive. If he doesn't drink human blood soon...then I fear the worst will happen to him." Sloan slowly processed the information with a hint of fear in her brain.

"I was thinking, perhaps you could help him."

Sloan snapped her head up with a frown on her face. "Me?" She asked in confusion and Larten nodded as he approached her again. "You are the closest to being what we are. Though you do not drink blood, you have hunting instincts, and craving of raw meat, correct?" Sloan nodded, thinking it must have been Darren who told him that.

"Perhaps you can persuade Darren into drinking by telling him how you adapted to it and came to accept it."

Sloan's ears flattened as she thought about when that had begun to happen and shuddered. "I mean, uh, I dunno, Mr Crepsley. Is it really my place to tell him what to—" "Sloan, this is not just some game. This is Darren's life we are talking about. I have tried time after time to save the little brat, but I have failed each time."

Sloan's tail swished anxiously. "What do you think my words will do?" She asked with her eyebrows furrowed. "You have been his longest friend here, maybe hearing that from you will convince him." Sloan looked at her feet as she thought hard about it.

She loved Darren like a brother. She would do anything for him. But her world and his were entirely different, and she didn't know if it was her place to tell him to do something he was against, even if it was his life on the line, because Darren was stubborn and she knew that.

She wanted to truthfully, but she was scared of what his reaction would be. Would he be sad, glad, angry at her to the point where he didn't want to see her and she just had to watch from a distance her best friend dying?

But Sloan knew that it was now or never to try and change the boys mind. About drinking and his mentor that she had noticed they didn't get along so well. And that's what she was going to do. She was going to help fix the boy, just like he had fixed her.

Sloan looked up at the red haired vampire and nodded with her ears raising.

"I'll do my best, Mr Crepsley."