Vacation Of Freaks

"That's great, Darren! You get to perform on your own!" Evra exclaimed so the black haired half-vampire would look on the bright side. Darren nodded slowly, seeing the point the snake boy made.

Evra looked him up and down. "But that outfits not flashy enough for a one man performance." He said and Sloan nodded from where she was squatting on top of some boxes. Truska stared at Darren for a moment before her eyes lit up and she grabbed Darren's hand and began to drag him toward the clothes tent.

"Wh-what is it, Truska?"

~

"Looking good, Darren!" Sloan said as she sniffed his new clothes while circling him. "Yea! It's Darren the pirate!" Evra said with a grin and Darren smiled while looking in a mirror.

After the show, Evra quickly retired to his tent, leaving Sloan and Darren to explore the dead end of the town they were in for a few nights. Sloan hopped alongside the black haired half-vampire as the two gazed around.

Sloan sniffed, smelling a familiar scent before looking up and giving a grin. "Hi Gavner." She called and Darren followed her gaze to see the vampire sitting at the edge of a building.

He jumped down and gave a surprised look. "Larten wasn't lying when he said that nose of yours was good." Gavner said as he booped her nose with his pointer finger. Sloan scrunched it up, giving a look.

"I've got to be leaving soon. Will you two take a walk with me?"

Darren looked a little weary, not in a way he didn't trust Gavner but in a nervous bad news way. Sloan nodded and stood up on two legs. "Of course we will." She said and Gavner gave a tiny smirk before they continued down the street.

"What did you mean by Mr Crepsley being judged?" Darren asked to finally break the silence. "Larten made a mistake. He should not have blooded you." Gavner told him bluntly and sighed.

"Children don't understand the nature of the risks they're taking. That's why we have a rule that children should never be blooded. In the case of children, the shock of changes is difficult to withstand. Larten will have to account for error in blooding you." Gavner told him whilst shoving his hands in his pockets.

Darren swallowed nervously. "Will...will he be killed?" Gavner chuckled and caught the two kids by surprise.

"I doubt it. Larten is highly respected, you see."

"Really?" Sloan asked, almost hopefully. Gavner nodded. "He used to be a vampire general. He was on the verge of being voted a vampire prince!"

"A vampire prince?" Sloan asked excitedly. Gavner nodded again with a slight grin. "That's what we call our leaders. There are very few of them and only the noblest, most respected vampires are elected."

Sloan glanced at Darren and could see the amazement in his eyes. Gavner sighed. "But he stepped down before it could happen. And then he left us and disappeared all on his own." Sloan and Darren frowned.

"Why would he do that?" Sloan asked as she went on all fours and began hopping alongside Gavner. The vampire general shrugged. "Nobody knows. Larten didn't give away much." Gavner thought for a moment.

"Maybe he just got tired of the fighting...and the killing..." he trailed off before signing. "Well, I should be off..." he said as he stopped and both Darren and Sloan looked disappointed.

"You're leaving already?"

"We wanted to hear more!" Sloan pouted and Gavner gave a slight grin as he patted between her ears. "Sorry kids. Larten'll scalp me alive if I tell you more. Best not to ask."