Hall of Death

Sloan walked next to Darren, a part of her itching to go on all fours but she refrained from doing so, her tail swishing under her coat anxiously as Kurda showed them the different halls.

Some halls she had already seen from Arra's tour while others she hadn't seen, assuming either Arra didn't think they were important or she didn't have time to show her.

"Some are the tunnels are well maintained and some aren't. They criss-cross the entire mountain, you see. Asides from the ones that have been connected to the major halls, they've mostly been left alone for thousands of years."

Kurda gave a small smile. "You might laugh at this confession...but one of my hobbies is map making. I want to make an accurate map of vampire mountain."

Kurda scratched the back of his head. "I've been working on it for decades but it's harder than you think. Every time I have the luxury of exploring, I notice old tunnels that have collapsed and new ones that have opened up."

"That's not strange!" Darren said with a smile. "Yea, it's fascinating." Sloan agreed and Kurda chuckled. "You do? You two are about the only ones to say that! The other vampires just find it silly." Kurda said with his eyes relaxing as they entered a new hall.

"Arra showed me here. The hall of cremation." Sloan said as she sniffed the air silently, smelling something new. Kurda nodded as he told Darren about the halls history and it's use.

Sloan looked to the right and saw a few people sitting there, one being a child who looked at her with weird looks upon their faces. Sloan sniffed, their smell making her puzzled as she watched them shuffle out quickly.

"Hey Kurda, what's—"

"Over here, Darren."

Sloan huffed as she turned away and forgot about the strange people once Darren and Kurda began to move along again.

Sloan began to smell a horrible scent and she wanted to cover her nose but resisted so Kurda wouldn't ask questions.

Sloan's ears pinned back as they approached a door and Kurda stopped, touching his face in a different way with his hand.

"What was that?" Darren asked as Kurda looked at the two. "It's the custom we perform when we pass this hall."

"What is it?" Sloan asked as she looked nervously at the door. "You don't want to go in there. It is not a pleasant place, the hall of death."

"Death?" The two assistants said as they exchanged looks. Kurda blinked. "Do you two want to go in?"

"Can we?" Darren asked and Sloan narrowed her eyes at him. Kurda nodded and he opened the doors.

"Just for a moment though."

Sloan grew more and more nauseous from the smell that had been bothering her when they began to approach this hall. She assumed whatever it was, it represented death.

And she wasn't a fan of it.

"Are you alright, Sloan?"

Kurda rested a hand on her shoulder. "Yea just...a little under the weather I think." Sloan said with a small smile. Kurda sighed as he looked at Darren.

"Let's get out of this gloomy place, shall we?"

~

Sloan perked up at the familiar hall. Kurda began approaching a vampire that Sloan recognized from earlier in an instant.

"Hi Vanez!" Sloan said as she walked up to him. The games master turned with a grin. "Come to get another ass whooping?" He asked teasingly and Sloan shook her head.

"I think my body's done for the week."

"I see you two have met." Kurda said with a small smile after explaining to Darren about the hall of sports. "Arra introduced us before teaching me some tricks on the bars." Sloan told the future prince, who's eyes widened.

"Arra...trained you."

"Yea, she was just being nice." Sloan said with a frown. Vanez chuckled. "I don't think any vampire has ever been personally trained by Arra, let alone on the bars." The games master told her and Sloan perked up.

"Really? How come you never mentioned it?"

"Oh, like you said. I think Arra was just being nice." Vanez told her and Sloan gave a look. "Arra's not really known for her kindness." Kurda said just as a loud thud from behind spooked Darren, causing them all to turn around.

"Well done, Arra." Vanez complimented as the dark haired women approached them after taking down another vampire. Sloan perked up.

"Hi Arra!"

"I see you brought friends this time. Aren't looking for anymore bar time?" Arra said with a slight smile. Sloan cracked a grin. "I think I'm good for the day." The red haired girl said, making Arra chuckle lightly.

"Darren, this is Arra Sails." Kurda introduced and Darren held out his hand. "Hi, I'm Darren Shan." The black haired boy said politely. Arra simply dropped the smile on her face in an instant, looking at the hand before turning away, leaving both Darren and Sloan confused.

Kurda and Vanez leaned down to the two. "Arra doesn't shake the hands to those she doesn't respect." The future prince said and Vanez clapped Sloan on the shoulder.

"And she respects a precious few of us..."

"Still refusing to shake hands with me, Arra?" Kurda asked as he stood up straighter. "I will shake hands with one who will not fight." The dark haired woman sneered.

"When you become a prince, I will bow to you and do your bidding...but I will never shake your hand."

"I don't think Arra voted for me in the election." Kurda said as Arra turned her back to them. Vanez clapped his hand on his shoulder.

"I didn't either!"

"Vanez!"

"How would you like to try out the bars with Arra, Darren?" Vanez asked, causing Sloan to perk up. "Me?" Darren questioned and Kurda gaped. "You can't be serious, Vanez!"

"What? Sloan already went up against her! I'm sure Arra doesn't mind small opponents."

"I will face any vampire who challenges me, with a all my might, regardless of size...but only if they have the courage."

Darren had a familiar look on his face that Sloan knew was going to be nothing but trouble. "Stop them, Vanez. Sloan, tell Darren this is foolish!"

"No, I accept the fight!"

"That's right don't let them—WHAT?" Kurda exclaimed as Vanez laughed a tossed Darren a pole. "Well stated boy!" Sloan grinned. "It wasn't so bad, Kurda. We're vampires! We're meant for this right?"

"Not you too." Kurda said with a sigh. Vanez held Sloan's shoulder. "Speaking like a true vampire already." He said and Sloan huffed proudly before beginning to watch the fight about to proceed in front of her.

And she knew it wasn't going to end well in Darren's part when he said:

"And if I win, you'll shake my hand?"