Tracking

"Took you long enough."

Sloan lit up as she saw Gavner again, Kurda standing next to him as well, feeling more comfortable with the presence of her friends whilst in front of their leaders.

"I did not wish to worry Darren about Sloan's business with the princes before he drew and began preparing." Larten said as both him and Sloan bowed politely to the princes.

"After the news of the vampeneze body and vampire blood being found along the way up the mountain, the princes were going to send a search party to find the vampires bodies if they still are out there and see if there is any other signs of vampeneze." Kurda explained.

"Until Gavner could not shut up about somebody who could help aid us in the search." Mika said with his arms crossed and all eyes turned to Sloan.

Sloan blinked. "Me?" She asked quietly. "You caught the scent of that blood long before Larten and I even sensed it." Gavner said and Sloan's ears flattened on her head.

The princes seemed intrigued at Sloan's features playing into her emotions.

"Well—yea, but—"

"If what Gavner speaks so highly of you is true, then it could help find out what is going on around the mountain." Arrow said with his arms crossed.

"If you could get a sniff of the blood first, could you track where it came from?" Kurda asked and Sloan's ears twitched anxiously as he tail swished side to side.

"Well, if there's a trail. It's harder through the snow, but I could do it possibly. The snow slowed down a significant amount which means their scent could be trapped underneath rather than blow away." Sloan explained.

"It can be trapped?" Gavner looked confused. "It's...hard to explain." Sloan said. "Rather than explain, perhaps you can demonstrate." Paris suggested, a warm smile on his face that made Sloan feel a bit more relaxed.

"Yes. I would rather not waste time if she is unable to do it." Arrow said and Sloan could tell her was doubting her abilities, which made her a bit annoyed.

"I can do that." Sloan responded to Paris and the eldest prince looked pleased. "Who do you wanna find?" Gavner asked and before Sloan could say anything, Arrow stood.

"Let us make sure she is not bluffing." Arrow said as he approached Sloan and held out a cloth in front of her. Sloan looked at Arrow for a second before looking at the cloth and taking it from his large hand.

She sniffed it, not recognizing the scent and noticing it wasn't clothing of a vampires based off the scent. Sloan handed the cloth back to Arrow, who seemed unimpressed still.

"It's not of a vampires. It's a guardian of blood, isn't it?"

This got Arrow's attention, his eyebrows raising ever so slightly as Gavner smirked and winked at Sloan.

Sloan sniffed the air, trying to locate the closest way to get to a trail. She followed the aroma in the air, it leading her to the left of the thrones to a door that she hadn't noticed before.

Arrow, Gavner, Kurda, and Larten followed while Mika and Paris stayed behind. Sloan eventually followed the aroma to a set trail that started from the kitchen.

She pounced onto all fours, sniffing along the ground and bounding down the trail until she reached an open cave where she saw a few guardians of blood who looked startled at her sudden entrance.

Sloan ignored them and followed the trail, her ears pinning back and tail swishing as she focused. The trail began to get fresher and fresher until she suddenly bumped into an ankle while not paying attention with her eyes.

The guardian of blood looked down at her with wide eyes of surprise and she dropped her ears guiltily but knew this was the one she was searching for.

The wolf girl turned to looked at Arrow and he seemed to be thinking for a moment as she bounded back to them on all fours.

"We shall arrange for a search party after Darren's drawing tomorrow."

And with that, the vampire prince went back to his duties.

The four vampires looked at Sloan as she stood up, Gavner grinning the biggest as he brought her to his side, scratching her ear.

"Atta girl, wolfy."

Sloan's tail gently thump against her leg.

~

After Darren's drawing, Sloan arrived at the hall of princes with Gavner after bidding Darren good luck with his training with his mentor.

"You nervous, wolfy?" Gavner asked as they approached the doors of the halls. Sloan swallowed. "That obvious?" She asked, forcing her ears up. Gavner chuckled, giving her head a rub.

"Don't be. The princes are a hell of a lot more relaxed around those they've trusted for awhile. Lucky for you, i've known them for my whole life, and I put in a good word on you and Darren."

"Arrow didn't seem that way." Sloan grumbled. "To be fair, we don't know what you are exactly. Of course he'll be skeptical." Gavner said and Sloan seemed to nod in agreement.

"Who else is joining us?"

"I think it'll be just us two and Arrow. He seems to wanna really see your skills."

The doors opened and Sloan swallowed. "Brave ears, wolfy." Gavner whispered and the wolf girls ears shot up, her tail curling on her leg.

"Ready, you two?" Arrow asked as the duo approached. They both nodded and Arrow looked pleased as he motioned Gavner to take the lead to navigate them to the area.

~

"Well, here it is."

Arrow grimaced at the sight of the splattered blood of his brothers on the wall. Sloan sniffed, noting the blood had a lot fainter smell to it. "Anything here we didn't catch before?" Gavner asked as Sloan gazed around.

"No...it's the same. But I didn't check for a trail last time." Sloan said as she bounced over to the entrance as she began searching for any sign of the vampires exiting themselves.

And that's when she caught wind of three new scents.

"They went this way..." Sloan said as she sniffed along the trail. "But they weren't doing it themselves. They were either injured or dead already." Sloan said.

"How do you know?"

"Well, the aroma is a certain...form. And I can smell another presence."

"Vampeneze?"

Sloan sniffed the ground, sticking her nose in the snow. She shook her head. "Vampire." She said and the two full grown vampires looked confused.

"Perhaps it was a live one trying to save his brother." Gavner hummed as he watched Sloan begin to hop along the scent trail. She tracked it until they got to a stream. Sloan hopped over it, sniffing on the other side of the bank, going up and down, back and forth multiple times in attempt to pick the scent of the vampire back up.

Nothing.

Sloan hopped back over to the other side of the bank, sniffing for the other scent she had smelt. She picked it up after a few tries and raised her head to the vampire prince and general watching her.

"I lost the scent of the injured one...but the other one is still here."

They nodded, Arrow humming as he scratched his cheek. "He must've fallen into the stream." He said and Gavner nodded.

Sloan looked at the stream, blinking as she gazed around. "I don't...think so." She said as she sniffed a bit more.

"Why would you say that?" Gavner asked, frowning. Sloan sniffed, going down stream a bit. "The trail of the vampire helping him goes upstream...and they have the same thickness of scent, meaning they were together." Sloan explained and the vampires eyes seemed to widen a bit.

"Meaning..." Gavner murmured, trialing off and Arrow gave a understanding nod.

"Somebody amongst us has murdered their own brother."