Tickets And Weird Conversations

The red haired girl sighed silently, attempting to warm herself by pulling the thin, worn out coat over herself but it didn't seem to help. She kicked a few rocks along the sidewalk as a breeze picked up, storm clouds hovering overhead.

Sloan Hail, why did you have to miss the bus? She cursed herself, her ears twitching inside her hat. Her tail remained as still as possible in order for no one to notice.

It started to rain, which made the walk home even more dreadful, but Sloan didn't speed up at all, just remained the same pace as if to punish herself for missing the bus.

The rain stopped over her head, making her frown and look up to see an umbrella. She followed the hand, up the arm it was held by to see a very tall man holding it.

"Oh, thank you, but you didn't---" "it is quite alright. I cannot just let a girl walk out here in the rain, soaking wet." The man said, giving a small smile without showing his teeth. Sloan smiled and thanked him as she continued walking with him by her side.

"My names Sloan. Sloan Hail. What's yours?"

"I am Mr Tall, I run a Circus that travels here and there." The man said. "A circus? That's neat." Sloan said, nodding. "What do you perform?" She asked. "Freaks." This made Sloan stop walking and turn to him.

"Pardon?" She asked. "Freaks, or just regular people with special talents, if you want a harder answer. We are the Cirque Du Freak." He said, pulling out a small business cards from his pocket and handing it to Sloan.

Sloan took it, reading it.

Hiberinus Tall, Owner of Cirque Du Freak

Sloan looked back up at him as he opened his mouth to speak. "I've come here to see if you would like to join." Mr Tall said. "Me? But I don't have any talents." Sloan stated, frowning.

"May I remind you of your...features?" Sloan frowned before her expression dropped in realisation as she took a step back, not caring if some of the rain hit her.

"How...how do you know about them?" She whispered. "I know lots of things, Sloan. I told you, it's a freak show. All of us our freaks in it, and I so happen to know a lot of things, past, present and future, about anyone and anything."

"So, a fortune teller?"

"Not exactly." Mr Tall responded. "But what I am does not matter, it's what I know about you that does. I can help set your life normal." Mr Tall explained. Sloan exhaled.

"It'll never be normal. I'll never be normal as long as I have these." Sloan said, taking off her hat to reveal the red wolf ears. "You're as normal as everyone, you are just more fascinating." Mr Tall said, Sloan's ears twitching in the wind before pinning to her head to avoid the cold.

"I've come to give you these." Mr Tall changed the subject, handing her the umbrella before digging through and pulling out one single slip of paper from his shirt pocket. He handed it to Sloan, who hesitantly took it, flipping it the right way around before reading the print on it.

'Cirque Du Freak, one night show. Only valid for one entry.' It said the location on it, and Sloan near where it was but frowned. "Why would you want to---" Sloan stopped as she looked up to see the tall man out of sight, leaving her standing there in the rain with the umbrella he had given to her.

She grumbled under her breathe before silently thanking for at least something to keep her dry for the time being before walking back down the street to the place she lived.