City of New Emotions

"You okay, Sloan?"

The wolf girl let out a muffled whine from behind the pillow she had her face stuffed under, her tail swishing anxiously. Darren and Evra looked at each other with a sad expression.

"Does everything still hurt?" Darren asked and Sloan nodded. "I'm sorry, Sloan. I wish there was something we could give you to help." Evra said as he sat next to her.

They had been there a week in the city already and at that point, Darren was already used to everything new. But Sloan on the other hand was still suffering from the effects of the new sounds and looks of the city.

And of course, the new smell, which Darren didn't have to deal with as much.

"You guys can go out. I promise it's fine. I just kinda wanna sleep." Sloan told them and the two boys sighed. "Don't worry, once this passes over, we'll take you everywhere we've been."

Sloan smiled underneath her pillow and the boys were happy when her tail wagged, so they knew her emotions. "Thanks guys. Have fun." She said and the boys bid her farewell and closed the blinds before they left.

After a bit of trying to fall asleep still after the few nights she hadn't gotten much sleep, Sloan gave up again and sat up finally, leaning against the pillows and grabbing the remote on her nightstand to turn on the tv.

She squinted at the tv for a second in pain before deciding she still couldn't stand any part of it and shut it off quickly. Sloan slowly stood up and went to the kitchen to find something to eat to help her sleep.

She dug through the groceries that Evra and Darren had gotten after they first arrived, sighing when she didn't really very in the mood for anything.

Sloan hadn't told anyone yet, but ever since her 13th birthday a few weeks prior, which she never told anyone about, she had been feeling weaker and weaker by the minute it felt and she couldn't figure out why.

She thought it might've been due to working so much at the Cirque, but she quickly ruled it out because she realized she had plenty of time to rest between shows and chores.

Sloan roamed the kitchen and found herself in front of the mini fridge. She opened it and saw a few of the blood bottle that Larten usually kept. She figured he either put them in there so they would spoil or he simply liked them cold.

A weird feeling rushed over Sloan as she simply stared at the blood, a sudden craving hitting her to try it. She practically felt the drool pooling up in her mouth and she zoned out for a moment of unknown time until a voice suddenly snapped her out of it.

"Sloan."

The wolf girl's ears shot up and she snapped out of her gaze at the thick red liquid, coming in at full alert. Sloan turned and saw Larten standing at the entrance of the kitchen, giving her a frown with a raised eyebrow, still looking like he rolled out of bed.

"Oh, hey Mr Crepsley."

"Are you alright?" The orange haired vampire asked as she shut the fridge. "Yea, why do you ask?" She asked as she tried to go past him. Larten stopped her.

"Because I was calling your name for two minutes."

Sloan looked up at him and let out a "oh." She hesitantly went past him and he watched her for a moment as she went and sat down on her bed, wrapping herself in a blanket.

"Why haven't you been out there exploring with Evra and Darren?"

Sloan sniffled. "These city smells and noises and sights are hurting everything. I've had a killer headache for the past week."

"I see. I heard Darren had that trouble too."

"Yea, but he got over it pretty quick. I think my wolf senses are fucking with me."

Larten slowly nodded as he leaned on the counter. "Is that all the reasons?" He asked and Sloan's ears flattened, which practically answered the orange haired vampires question. "You can tell me, Sloan. I'm very keen on keeping secrets."

Sloan chuckled. "Wow, the one man that we struggle to figure out the most is asking to try and figure me out? Ironic, Crepsley." Larten gave a look and the wolf girl sighed as she suddenly fell silent, as if trying to find the words to express her emotions.

Larten noticed and sighed. "Awhile back, when everything happened with your friend Sam, I saw what had happened that day you scared off RV." Sloan's ears flopped all the way down and her tail curled around her legs that were pulled to her chest.

"Is that something to do with this?"

Sloan held back the sudden tears that threatened to spill, not wanting to look or feel weak and nodded. "RV made me angry that day...because he wanted to say that I didn't know what it was like being in the Wolf-man's situation...being locked up and 'treated like an animal'."

Sloan sighed and leaned her head down. "When in reality, it's flipped. The Wolf-man doesn't know half of what it's like to be actually locked up and treated like an animal when you aren't one." Larten didn't say anything in response to allow her to vent.

"I grew up with my mother, my brother and my step father. My mother hated me and I never knew why and my step father just treated me like a slave." Sloan swallowed. "There would be nights where it felt like I would breath and she'd get mad. She'd toss me into my room, lock me up in anyway possible—"

Sloan fiddled with her thumbs. "A tight collar to a rope, a cage, even locking me outside a lot of the nights. My brother Jackson would try to help, but that would result in him getting the same punishment. But he didn't care. He just wanted to make sure I was safe." Sloan twitched her ears in shame.

"Just, hearing RV say that like he knew my whole life made me angry, but also made me realize that I had never told anybody of my past except Mr Tall. But i didn't know if I wanted to." Sloan said truthfully.

"How come?"

"Because I'm ashamed. It makes me feel weak and helpless. I'm fucking half wolf and I couldn't get out of that shit hole till now with claws and teeth?" Sloan growled to herself as she twiddled her thumbs.

"Destiny lead you to the Cirque. You wanted that long for a reason, Sloan." Larten said and the wolf girl glanced up at him. "You think so?" She asked and the orange haired vampire nodded as he stood up straight.

"When Darren first told me that you two had known each other, I was skeptical. Especially because of the presence of Desmond Tiny. But after seeing how you two get along, with each other and with Evra, I believe this was supposed to happen. No matter Tiny's doing or not." Sloan processed it for a moment before Larten began speaking again.

"You should not be ashamed by your past, Sloan. What you went through was simply a chapter of life, and you came out of it even stronger than before. You were meant to be here with us." Larten gave a small smile. "Especially to keep those little brats busy." Sloan cracked a smile with a sniffle and a rub of her eyes.

"I think you should tell them when you have the chance. So they know what you went through." Larten said and Sloan looked scared for moment. "I dunno. I don't want them to be scared of me with what I went through. I hate feeling weak." She told the orange haired vampire.

"I promise you, that will not be the case. Most vampires have tragic lives before, and even tragic lives now, it's something everybody goes through at some point in their lives. Forget not that Darren did have to fake his own death and once had to leave you behind, thinking it was for good? Could you imagine how weak he felt then?"

Sloan realized the point he made and took a moment to think about it before nodding. "Maybe. I think I'll sleep on it."

"Like you've slept at all."

"Wow, didn't need to be called out like that." Sloan narrowed her eyes and the vampire chuckled before wrapping his own blanket around him again and going back toward his own separate room.

"Goodnight Crepsley. Or good morning?" The orange haired vampire rolled his eyes. "Get some sleep, Sloan." He said before disappearing to go back to sleep.

And for some reason, Sloan passed out as soon as she hit the pillow.