Life of a Vampire

Hiding a pair of ears and a tail was a lot harder than Sloan thought. Her beanie fell off in her sleep and Arra saw her ears when she woke up.

The dark haired vampire was fascinated by them, but other than a few touches and questions, the topic dropped. This surprised Sloan, since she was used to people constantly talking about them but she wasn't complaining.

"This is torture." Sloan mumbled underneath the freezing waterfall. Arra laughed as she stepped out and wrapped in a towel with Sloan soon following. "You get used to it."

"I don't think I ever will." Sloan said as she shook out her ears and tails, trying to get the water out. After getting mostly dried, the two women got dressed and Arra began showing Sloan around the halls of vampire mountain.

"This is the hall of sports. You'll find me in here most of the time if you ever need me." Arra told Sloan. "What do you do in here?" Sloan asked as she gazed around while walking in. "Most vampires train in here, but some come just for entertainment or to be entertained."

"Arra! Come to show these whipped snappers how to really handle these bars?" Sloan looked over and saw a vampire with one eye approaching them. Arra gave a small smile. "Not today, Vanez. I'm giving a tour at the moment."

"A tour for who?" Vanez asked as he met Sloan's gaze, who gave a slight grin. "This is Sloan, one of Larten's assistants." Arra introduced. "Oh! I heard about you from word around the mountain." Vanez said as he shook her hand.

"I guess word gets around fast, huh?" Sloan laughed a bit and the two adults did as well. "Oh, you'd be surprised. Nobody keeps their mouth shut here." Vanez said as he glanced over at the vampires sparing near them.

"Vanez is the games master. He overlooks the hall of sports just to make sure everybody's playing nice."

"Please. I don't think vampires know the definition of playing nice if they had a knife to their heart." Vanez said with a chuckle. "Is Arra going to show you some moves on the bar soon?" The games master asked.

"The bars?" Sloan repeated as she looked at Arra. Vanez pointed to a giant structure, Sloan following his finger and eyes widening at the sight.

"Arra has been undefeated in the bars for eleven years now. She can definitely teach you some tricks, and maybe you can take her title at some point." Vanez said jokingly as he nudged Sloan's side.

"Oh, stop Vanez."

"What? Scared the half vampire will whoop you off those war?"

"Hardly. But you'll give her stupid ideas. Come, Sloan. We'll finish walking and then maybe we'll return for some training...if you're interested." Arra said as she waved Sloan along.

Sloan followed quickly with a big grin.

"I'd love that."

~

And that's exactly what happened.

Sloan could balance pretty good on the bars thanks to wolf features, and with her vampire strength she could do a few good blows. But getting a blow on Arra was harder than she'd ever imagine.

Sloan panted heavily about four hours in. "Come, Sloan. Don't give up yet." Arra said with a slight grin from where she was at at the high ground.

"I feel like my legs, my arms, my everything is on fire." Sloan said as she stood up straighter. "It's about adapting to it. The bars are tougher than most of the sports here because of all the mixed strategies you must concentrate on." The she-vampire told her.

"And because Arra is tough as hell!" Vanez yelled up to them. Arra chuckled. "That too." She said as Sloan eyed her for a split moment before darting after her.

Unfortunately for Sloan, she still ended up on the ground.

"Ow."

~

Sloan winced as she found her way to the meal hall for dinner. She lit up to see her mentor and best friend sitting with Seba and Gavner.

She approached quickly so she could snag some food and Gavner was the first to notice her. "Well, well, look who decided to roll out of bed!" Sloan rolled her eyes as she sat down next to Larten.

"I've been awake, getting a tour of the mountain."

"From who?" Darren asked with a frown. "Arra." Sloan said and Larten almost choked on his food before looking at Seba. "That is who you roomed her with?" He asked and the quartermaster gave a sly smile.

"Why? A problem, Larten?"

The orange haired vampire coughed awkwardly. "N-no." He mumbled as he continued with his food. Sloan could smell embarrassment reeking off of him, as well as a certain smell she hadn't smelt in awhile that made her break into a grin as she realised just why her mentor was getting so flustered.

"What're you smiling about?" Larten cocked an eyebrow at her with his eyes narrowed. "Nothing! Nothing! Just, thought of something." Sloan giggled, turning back to her food. Her mentor stared at her for another second or so before grumbling and going back to his food.

"Maybe you should go search around too, Darren. It takes some getting used to." Gavner told the half vampire.

"Actually, I can help you with that."

The vampires turned to a blonde haired man that Sloan didn't know, causing her ears to twitch nervously under her hat.

"Kurda!"

Kurda gave a wave as he approached. "Things a calming down at last, and I have a few free hours. I was going to see if you'd want a tour of the mountain, Darren."

"Really?" The black haired boy said with a smile. "A man of your eminence, acting as a guide close to your investiture. You do the boy a great honor." Sloan and Darren's mentor said with a sly smile.

"You can tag along if you want, Larten." Kurda offered. Larten shook his head. "No, thank you." He said and Kurda shrugged. "Your loss." He said simply, turning.

"Do you wanna come Sloan?" Darren asked and the girl's ears flattened in her hat nervously. "Uh, sure." She said and got up to walk over to Darren and Kurda, who's eyes looked surprised.

"Oh! And who's this?" He asked. "This is Sloan." Darren introduced as the wolf girl gave a small smile. "Sloan...?" Kurda said slowly. "Just Sloan." She told him.

"Sloan is my other assistant." Larten told Kurda and he looked surprised. "Two assistants Larten?" He hummed and the orange haired vampire shot him a look. Kurda raised his hands up in defeat.

"Alright, alright. We're going now."