Challenges

"It is good to see you, Larten. I did not think I would look upon your face again."

"I thought it was too handsome of a face to hide!"

If they weren't being presented for the first time to the princes, Sloan would've made a snarky comment. But the red haired girl kept her mouth shut, her right ear flicking out of nervousness as she was knelt just to the right of her mentor.

"These must be your assistants, Larten. Gavner has spoken approvingly of them."

"They are just children! What possessed you to—"

"Let us not speak rashly of Larten, Mika."

Paris breathed in. "There is but one reason we have called you here today. I wish to hear your reasons for blooding young Darren and Sloan...directly from your mouth, Larten." Paris's eyes settled slowly.

"Why did you break our tradition? Knowing you, there must have been good reason."

Larten hesitated.

"I have...no valid reason."

This caused a burst of talking in the hall that made Sloan jump slightly in surprise.

"Is that all you have to say for yourself, Larten!" Mika exclaimed as Paris silenced the hall. "Come Larten, do not play games. You would not blood two children out of simple whimsy."

"No....Yet I did. I went against all reason when I blooded Darren and Sloan and made them half vampires—"

Sloan was taken back. Why was Larten taking the fall for Sloan being a vampire?

Sloan glanced back to see Seba looking at her, wondering if she should do the right thing, thinking maybe it would cut her mentor some slack from the weight of his mistakes. The quartermaster gave a small smile and the wolf girl returned it.

"My princes, if I may intervene on my friends behalf?"

"By all means, Gavner, speak! We welcome your input if it means we can clear things up!" Mika told the vampire general.

"I don't know if I can do that, but I would like to note that both Darren and Sloan...are extraordinary! They both made the trek to vampire mountain—no small feat for ones their ages. Darren fought a bear poisoned with vampeneze blood along the way. Sloan shares features so similar to our cousins, her sense of smell, sight and hearing has already exceeded those of full grown vampires. And I'm sure you've heard of their matches against Arra Sails."

Gavner glanced at the two kids for a moment. "They are both bright and brave and honest. I believe they both have the makings to be fine vampires. You were only two years old when you were blooded, weren't you sire?"

"That is not the point! It will set a dangerous precedent if the act of blooding young children is allowed to pass."

"Mika is right."

"But...that is not all." Gavner looked at Sloan. "I do not understand why Larten would take the fall for this...but Sloan was not blooded by Larten."

The hall erupted again and this time all eyes went onto Sloan, who's ears flattened once again.

Paris silenced the hall again, looking at Larten. "Is this true, Larten?" The orange haired vampire hesitated before nodding.

"Why would you take the fall for somebody else's mistakes?"

"I believed it was details not worth getting into."

"I think this is something much worth mentioning considering the fact two vampires have broken our tradition now." Mika said lowly. "It is not that simple." Larten told the princes.

"How so?"

"We do not know who blooded Sloan."

The princes finally looked at Sloan, who had to contain herself from shaking. "Sloan does not have the typical scars one does after being blooded, let alone any scars of blooding."

The hall erupted again and Sloan could tell Paris was a bit agitated by the interruptions based off his actions and his smell.

Mika suddenly got up and walked toward Sloan. Larten motioned for her to stand up and she did just as Mika got to her.

"Let me see your hands."

Mika's hands were huge, and it made Sloan wonder if she'd be that big when she became a full vampire as the young prince examined her finger tips.

"No scars!" He said in surprise and Sloan could smell the confusion off of him. "This does not make sense." Arrow hummed just as many vampires whispered among each other.

"None the less, Sloan is a vampire, correct?" Arrow asked Larten and the wolf girl's mentor nodded. "Her blood tasted of ours when she asked for it to be tested." Larten told the princes.

"Then somebody of our kind, blooded on purpose or accident, must prove themselves to this clan so I say—" Arrow stood to his feet and pointed at the two.

"Let us set a challenge for them."