Two Boys, a Freak, and a Freak Show

Sloan trailed down the sidewalk, the night humidity from the rain for a past few hours hitting her, her fur fluffing. She had her hands shoved in her pockets and looked around in case anyone was there.

She approached the location, seeing a old building is where the Cirque ran for the time being. She stared at it for a few seconds before a voice startled her.

"I am surprised you came." She heard Mr Tall say from behind her. She turned, seeing the owner of the Cirque standing near a lamp post. "To be honest, I hesitated."

"Everyone does. It's outlawed. Many say it's cruel and a punishment, but my Cirque is different. My freaks are gifted, not punished." Mr Tall was slowly approaching as he spoke to her, peering down with his black, hollow eyes. Sloan nodded before holding up the black umbrella.

"Here's your umbrella back." She said. He took it, bowing slightly to thank her. "Why don't you head on in? The shows about to start." Mr Tall said, motioning to the entrance. Sloan looked at it for a second before looking back to ask the man a question before seeing he was gone.

She sighed and walked to the entrance, hesitantly creeping forward to the ticket booth. She saw a black figure standing in it, and as she approached, it reached out its hand.

She almost screamed when she saw the long, pale, fingers unfold, the things sharp finger nails tapping on the wood. The boney fingers crackled as the hand turned over, it's palm wide open, indicating she needed to place the ticket onto it's white, wrinkly palm. Sloan slowly placed the ticket in its hand before it's hand curled back into the booth and pointed to the right, indicating she could go in.

"Th-thanks." Sloan's ears flattened anxiously as she barely uttered the words out of her mouth. She wandered down the hallway before approaching a pair of double door, hearing a murmur of voices behind it. She stared at it, not knowing what to do. The wolf-girl didn't know how long she was standing there, just staring, but a pair of shaken voices snapped her out of her daze.

The red-haired girl turned around to see two boys approaching near her, causing her to instinctively pull her hoodie over her head to cover her ears. The white-haired boy was frowning as the two boys stopped in front of her, the other boy with black hair gazing around as if something was going to pop out to scare him.

"You're blocking the entrance."

Sloan looked at the door again, only now noticing the paper posted to the side of the door that read 'Enter Here'.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry." Sloan scooted away from the doors, glancing down in embarrassment. "Nah, it's all cool dude. Darren here thought you looked a little timid about going in too. My names Steve, this is Darren-" Darren waved shyly, which Sloan returned with a sly smile, her canines poking out lightly. "-like I said, you seemed a little timid to go in. Would you like to come in with us? We won't mind another person tagging along." Thankfully, Sloan could tell this boy wasn't trying to be flirty. At least, if he was, he was holding it back.

Sloan glanced back at the door hesitantly before turning back. "That would be nice." Sloan said finally, giving a genuine smile to the boys. They both returned it.

"What's your name, sugar?"

'There it is' Sloan thought with a mental roll of her eyes. "Not sugar, definitely." Sloan said, narrowing her eyes at Steve. Steve raised his hands in defeat. "Understandable." He said. "My name is Sloan." She said, stuffing her hands in the pocket of her sweatshirt. "Sloan...Sssslllloooaaannnn." Steve was sounding it out, playing with the name. "Yea, Sloan. Don't make me regret telling you." Her ears flattened in annoyance under her hoodie, her pale red eyes rolling.

"Sorry, just kinda seems like a name for dude, don't you think?" Steve hummed. Darren smacked his arm. "Don't be rude." The black-haired boy hissed. Sloan shrugged. "It's my name." She stated. "Touché." Steve's brow arched as he pursed his lips in a smile. "Maybe we should go in to find a seat, so we can maybe get some good ones." Darren suggested to the girl and boy. They nodded in agreement, Steve yanking on the set of large doors to hold it open for them.

Sloan was quite shocked to see how large the room was for the show, not to mention how packed it was. Her anxiety flushed around her body, stomach gurgling, eyes twitching, knees shaky as she trailed behind Darren. For some reason, she couldn't help but think everyone knew her secret, and that they were staring in disgust as she walked by. But no ones heads turned, except to talk to their own people who accompained them.

"Here's some." Steve pointed to some seats, about 8 rows back from the stage. Sloan wasn't surprised there wasn't people seated near the very front row, besides very few brave souls. Not even she would want to go past the 5th row. Sloan shifted her tail hiding in her pants so she could sit comfortably as she sat down and got comfortable, since she was unsure how long she would be there.

Anxiety prickled through Sloan's head as the lights dimmed dramatically. Steve grinned in excitement as Sloan started to smell the anxiety radiating off of Darren, mixed with excitement.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Cirque Du Freak!"

~

"This is awesome!" Steve said, grinning widely. Darren nodded in agreement, both looking at Sloan to see what she would say about it. She smiled lightly. "It's really cool."

It had been almost thirty minutes since the show started, and most of her anxiety had left her thankfully, after she got comfortable and distracted by the many talents of the freaks performing.

The show ended soon after that, and Sloan was relieved yet disappointed about it being over. She enjoyed it a lot, but now she was afraid of Mr Tall coming back up to her for the offer he had said a few days prior.

"That was awesome." Darren said as him, Sloan, and Steve followed the crowd of people out to the souvenirs shops. They bought a variety of things, Sloan barely managing to buy two things with the money she finds around her house.

Sloan decided after a bit it was time to get home, so her parents didn't question why she was out for so long. It wasn't like they cared how late she was out, she just didn't want them finding out about this place.

"I gotta get going. My parents will question me if I'm home any later." Sloan said as she turned to Darren and Steve.

"Oh, okay. You should hang out with us again sometime! Tomorrow's Friday, so Darren and I are hanging out after school." Steve said, smiling. Sloan smiled, turning slightly red. "Sure. That'd be nice." She said quietly.

It had been awhile since she had been invited to hang out with someone, since her parents refused to give her education, but she learned everything from being in the streets for so long.

She learned how to talk, walk, and fight from everyone on the streets, and she was known around the sewers which homeless people and rejects stayed.

Sloan waved the pair goodbye and they returned it, smiling as she turned and walked away from the freak show.

"That offer will always be up, if you ever need it." A voice said as she walked out the exit. But she didn't turn around, she didn't have to. She knew who had said it. She got down on all fours, and responded just before taking off on all four down the street, wind rushing through her hair.

"I'll keep it in mind."