Life At Its Strangest

Two months had passed since Sloan joined the Cirque Du Freak, and she never regretted leaving her old home. She was accepted by everyone, they had never seen someone with wolf features that they could actually talk to and pet.

After the first day she easily found her role in the Cirque; taking care of the Wolfman. As soon as she walked by the cage, he recognized her as one of his own and starting howling with excitement. She was able to pet him and communicate with him easily, which made Evra almost shit himself with amazement.

After that, Mr Tall put her in charge of taking care of him, which was easy for Sloan since he basically had the same diet and actions as her. This made her feel welcome and free at last.

And everything was perfect. No abuse, no starving, she got to hang around and help with stuff she enjoyed, life was great.

Until one day, when she smelt something familiar.

~

Sloan sniffed, rubbing her nose. It was irritating, the smell she was picking up. It was of dirt, old cologne, and of a somber smell. But yet, it smelt familiar. Sloan shrugged it off, trying to get her mind off it.

"What's up Wolfy?" Evra asked from across the tent, his snake curled up underneath his hammock. "Nothing. Just a smell that's bothering me, it'll go away." Sloan said, sniffling harshly. Evra nodded.

"You could go smell some flowers if you wanna get rid of it." Evra suggested. Sloan shrugged, relaxing into her hammock. "I'm too lazy to get up. I'll deal with it." She said. The snake boy shrugged and nodded before sitting up.

"Hey, did you hear we have a new person joining the Cirque? Mr Tall mentioned him, he should be here in a few hours, maybe less." Evra said. "What's his name?" Sloan asked, sitting up curiously. "I dunno. But Mr Tall asked us to clean Mr Crepsley's tent before he returns with the new person. Mr Crepsley's his mentor." Evra explained. Sloan frowned.

"Mentor in what?" She asked, ears twitching. Evra looked wearily. "You're not gonna believe me." He admitted. "I won't doubt it. I trust you." Sloan admitted, tail swishing in confusion against the floor. Evra nodded before sighing.

"Mr Crepsley's a vampire." He said. Sloan frowned. "A vampire?" She echoed, Evra nodding in confirmation. "A vampire. But they're much different than those you see in movies. They're nice, they usually don't bother with humans a bunch except to drink blood and even then, they only drink what they need, which isn't even close to killing a human." Evra explained.

Sloan leaned closer out of curiousness. "You're serious?" She asked. "Dead serious." Evra responded, nodding his head up and down. "Mr Crepsley's hard headed, but he's nice when you get to know him. Maybe you two will get along, ya know, not completely human." Evra explained. Sloan shrugged again.

"We'll see. Now, tell me more about Vampires."

~

It had been three hours and the scent hadn't gone away. It was actually stronger than before, it made her nose itch, and she was sneezing. It was as if he body was trying to tell her it was familiar. But she didn't know who's it was.

She continued to try and ignore it, carrying on with her chores. As she was bringing water to the wolfman in a large bucket, she caught sight of Mr Tall, talking to a man in a red trench coat. 'That's Mr Crepsley. The spider controller, or whatever.' Sloan thought to herself. She almost continued on, until she saw a small figure standing just to the side of Mr Tall where she couldn't make out what his face looked like.

"Sloan!" A voice cried, startling her out of her stare. Sloan turned around, Evra Von running toward her, paler than normal. "He's here." Evra gulped. Sloan frowned. She had never seen the snake boy so full of fear. She could smell it off him, it was masking the other scents.

"Who?" She asked. Evra gazed around, swallowing harshly again.

"Destiny!"