Presentation

Sloan stared in the mirror (ironically) in Arra and hers shared room, her ears flattened, her tails swishing anxiously as she adjusted the maroon hood cloak that Arra had helped her pick out to get a change of clothes.

"Sloan?"

The wolf girl turned as her mentor entered, nodding his head. "It is time to go. Ready?"

"As i'll ever be."

"You're nervous." The orange haired vampire said and his assistant frowned as she approached him. "What gave it away?" She said and Larten chuckled.

"Your ears always get the best of your emotions, Sloan." Her ears immediately shot up defensively as the wolf girl huffed, walking past her mentor. Larten smiled faintly as he went after her so they could quickly meet up with Darren.

~

"This is far..."

"The hall of princes is at the highest point in the mountain. This is the only hall to it."

"It's all very impressive." Darren said as he admired his new surrounding. Larten gave a soft smirk. "Here we are." He breathed out.

Sloan could tell both her friends were nervous, but she guessed probably not as nervous as her.

She had already gotten stares on the way up, making her ears be flattened for most of the walk as her tail wrapped around her hip.

"What's that? It's glowing." Darren commented, snapping Sloan out of her thoughts. "This is the core of the mountain...the hall of princes." Larten told his two assistants.

"What's it made of? I don't see any cracks or joints." Darren said as they approached. "Place your hands on it." Sloan and Darren did so.

The wolf girl jerked her hands away in surprise while Darren admired. "It's warm! And it throbs!"

"Nothing can penetrate these walls. It is the toughest material known to man or vampire."

"Where did it come from?" Darren asked as he took his hands off the wall. "Centuries ago, after the vampeneze broke away from the vampires, Mr Tiny presented us with the dome and the stone of blood. We do not know what the material is, or how it was built." Larten walked along, the two assistants following him quickly.

"If anything, both answers probably involve magic."

As they entered the hall, while Sloan admired the beauty of it, she listened closely to Larten's words as he told them about the stone of blood that Sloan had saw after Larten had pointed out.

There were a few distinct smells that Sloan couldn't put her finger on, so she chose to ignore them until she could possibly investigate further.

"Larten, Darren, Sloan!"

Sloan perked up at the familiar voice, smiling at the faces of her friends she had already made. "It's Gavner and Kurda!" Darren said as they went toward them. "And Harkat!" Sloan said excitedly as she spotted the little person, who waved politely.

"I heard about your bout with Arra! Both of you, what in the heavens were you thinking?"

"I don't think I got it as bad as Darren did." Sloan said with a grin and Gavner chuckled as he scratched between her ears, making her tail wag.

"How're you doing, Harkat?"

"They haven't been boring you to death, have they?" Sloan asked as well as both her and Darren sat on either side of him. "I'm fine...nothing to...worry about." The little person said with a sly smile.

After a bit, the doors to the halls opened once more and vampires began to quiet down as three men walked down the aisle toward the thrones, another new smell hitting Sloan's nostrils.

"Darren, Sloan, those are our leaders, the vampire princes."

Sloan presumed that was why the same smell came off of them as they approached, her ears flickering nervously.

"There is one prince who is absent, but there will always be one present."

Larten motioned to the one on the very right with long black hair and a gloomy looking face. "On our far right is Prince Mika Ver Leth. He is the youngest of the current princes at 270 years of age and is a fierce warrior."

"In the centre is Paris Skyle. He is the oldest living vampire at over 800 years old...and a living legend."

"Finally, there is arrow. He married a human in the past, leaving our kind...but returned to us when she was murdered by a vampeneze. He is at the forefront of the anti-vampeneze sentiment."

Just after Larten told his assistants of the princes, a voice echoed through the hall;

"Larten Crepsley, Darren Shan, Sloan, to the front!"

Sloan's ears flattened instantly and Gavner patted her head before she stood up.

"Brave ears, wolfy!"

And somehow, the vampire general's words worked as the wolf girl's ears perked up as she followed her mentor to the front.