Dying Instincts

Darren huffed intensely as he stood between the wolf man and Sam's body that the half man creature had been ripping into as if he were a snack. Luckily, Darren had managed to throw large rocks with intense strength to get him off.

But now he had to figure out how to get him away.

"Leave him alone!" Darren yelled angrily and the Wolf-man snarled angrily back at him and went into a crouching position. Darren glanced around and saw no other rocks worth trying to throw to get the savage half man away.

The Wolf-man jumped and Darren snapped his eyes up at the giant creature soaring down toward him, bracing to begin fighting him for real this time.

Only to jump in surprise when a figure slammed into the Wolf-Man.

Sloan landed on her feet, panting heavily as the Wolf-Man rolled away a few feet. He snarled in anger and stood to his feet and snapped his head toward her. Sloan snarled back, her eyes glowing a bright red and she lunged at him without hesitation.

Sloan sunk her teeth into the Wolf-Man's arm and he howled it pain, grabbing her and tossing her off. He pounced onto her and they rolled a few feet away. Sloan and the Wolf-Man locked hands, both trying to win the upper hand, growling and snarling at each other menacingly.

Sloan kicked him off, sending him flying away just past Darren and Sam. Darren watched, panting heavily from the fear that radiated through his body.

The Wolf-Man got up into a crouching position and shook his head angrily, growling low as he stepped toward Darren and Sam. Sloan jumped into front of them on all fours, matching the Wolf-Man's growl.

Darren has been caught off guard by Sloan coming to his rescue in such a manner. He knew she could talk to wolves and dogs, and every once in awhile to would hop along on all four, but he had never seen her act so...animal like. It was like a savage dog possessed her body.

Lucky for him, it wasn't a savage dog that wanted his blood.

The Wolf-Man lunged quickly and Sloan braced herself for impact, but was surprised when somebody from above slammed the Wolf-Man to the ground and breathed in his face.

Both Sloan and Darren relaxed when they saw the Wolf-Man relax suddenly as his eyes dropped shut quickly.

Mr Crepsley panted from on top of the Wolf-Man. "Believe it or not—" he panted. "I came as fast as I could." He finished as he stood up straight.

Darren's eyes suddenly widened as he spun around. "Sam." He whispered and dashed to the barely moving body. Sloan turned and quickly hopped after him on all fours, her eyes fading back to their normal hazel color.

"Oh, Sam. No...no, no, no! This can't be happening." Darren said in disbelief as he looked down upon his dying friend. Sam smiled weakly up at the two of his friends. "I guess...I wasn't meant to join the Cirque after all." He said quirky as Sloan placed her hand on his face, rubbing his cheek with her thumb.

"I'm sorry Sam." She whispered with tears in her eyes. "What are you...sorry for, Wolfy?...I just wanted to be...with you guys...and here I am." Sam said faintly and the young boy's eyes began to drop slowly as he leaned into the wolf girls touch.

Darren spun his head to Larten. "Help him! Seal his wounds!" He exclaimed and Larten shook his head sadly. "I am afraid it is too late for that, Darren. His insides have almost all been devoured." Larten swallowed.

"No doubt he cannot even feel the pain anymore."

"No! Sam, you can't die! You can still be anything you want, as long as you grow up!" Darren sniffled and leaned his body slightly over his dying friends, who was gazing up at the stars. Sloan choked back a sob.

"He will be dead in moments...that is unavoidable, but there is something we can do for his spirit."

Darren looked at his mentor again. "Huh?" He asked quietly. Larten locked eyes with his young assistant after a short glance with Sloan. "You must drink Sam's blood."

Sloan snarled at the vampire as Darren glared. "I...I won't do anything of the sort! How dare you even suggest that?" He yelled angrily and Larten sighed. "Do you remember our discussion? About how a vampire can absorb part of a person's soul by drinking their blood?"

"Shut up!" Darren exclaimed with tears rolling down his face as Sloan suddenly relaxed. "Sam's dying and all your worried about is blooding me!"

"Darren."

The black haired boy looked at the red haired girl. "Listen to him." She whispered and the boy hesitated before turning a nodding slowly as he chocked back a sob.

"Losing a loved one is hard. Once they are dead, they are gone forever...but if you drink from Sam and absorb part of his essence, you will not lose all of him." Larten explained and Sloan slowly started understand as she listened while staring at her dying friend.

"I..." Darren whispered as he gazed at Sam, who's eyes had dropped lower. "I can't do it. You want me...to kill Sam?" He asked quietly.

"Drink Darren."

Darren looked surprised while Sloan's ears perked up hesitantly as Sam breathed out slowly. "If I can life inside you...I want you to drink...then I can be together...with you and Evra forever." Sam whispered and Sloan let out a short sob, holding her mouth to try and stop her tears.

"Sam...I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm not a normal human."

"I don't care if you're a vampire...I'm not scared...I mean..." Sam paused and breathed in.

"We're friends, aren't we?"

Tears streamed down Darren's face as he cut a tiny spot on Sam's neck and slowly began drinking.

"Was all you...said a lie? Was it a lie...to protect me?" Sam whispered and Sloan held his face to comfort him in his dying breaths. Sloan nodded, letting out another sob as she leaned her forehead against the young boys.

"Thanks for lying...to protect me...I'm glad to have met...you guys...Sloan and Darren."

And with that, Sam laid still and he had left them for good, leaving the two young children to mourn the lose of the one true human who accepted them for who they were as they let out agonizing cries into the night.