Trials

"I do not want them to be punished for something they had no control of."

"A challenge is not a punishment, Larten." Mika told the orange haired vampire as he went back to his throne and sat in it.

"It is fair, Larten. If the two prove themselves in a test, then them being blooded will be accepted." Paris said with his arms stretched out.

Larten bowed his head. "Very well. But the decision is theirs, not mine. I will not force this upon them." The princes nodded as Larten no turned to glance at both his assistants.

"Are you prepared to prove yourself to the clan and clear our names?"

Before Sloan could say something, Darren spoke up. "Uhm, what kind of challenge are we talking about exactly?" He asked.

"A good question. It would be an unfair battle against one of our warriors. Half vampires are no match for a general. And a quest would take too long...which only leaves..." Paris hummed.

"NO!"

A figure jumped in front of Larten and his two assistants, catching them by surprise. "Kurda!" Darren hissed. "I will not stand for this!" The future prince exclaimed.

"The two aren't ready for the trials! If you insist on testing them, wait until they are older!"

"There will be no waiting! We wield the authority here, Kurda Smahlt! You're not a prince yet!" Mika growled to the blonde haired vampire. Kurda looked guilty as his shoulders dropped.

"So stop acting like one!"

Kurda bowed down, his head tucked. "My apologies for speaking out of turn, sire. Have I permission of the princes to speak?"

"You have." Mika granted him. "The trials of initiation are for full grown vampires wishing to become generals. They were not meant for half vampires! It would not be fair!" Kurda told the princes.

"The trials of initiation?" Sloan mumbled as Kurda looked at her. "It will involve five acts of physical courage. The test are picked at random and widely varied." Paris explained as Sloan and Darren glanced at each other.

"You two mustn't agree to this! You'll be signing your death warrant. You aren't strong, quick, or experienced enough for the trials! They're for full blooded vampires!" Kurda tried to tell them.

"I disagree." Larten spoke up, eyeing Kurda, catching Sloan and Darren by surprise. "Darren and Sloan are capable of passing the trials. I would not let my assistants step forward if I thought they would be out of their depths."

Mika leaned on his arm. "Let's vote on it. I say the trials. Arrow?"

"I agree. The trials. Paris?"

"Hmm. Kurda does have a point, Larten. I fear your optimism may be misplaced." The old vampire looked to the crowd. "What do the generals think? Does anybody have anything to add?" Paris looked pleased quickly.

"Ah, excellent. Speak general Arra Sails."

Sloan's ears flickered behind her head in surprise as she turned to listen to Arra talk. "I have full respect for Darren and Sloan. I have shaken both their hands, and personally been training Sloan's on the bars. Those who know me will also know how much that means to me." Arra said cooly, her eyes flickering to the two young vampires.

"But I agree with my princes. Darren and Sloan must prove themselves to all. Not just me. A vampire who cannot pull their weight is of no use to us. We have no place for children who need to be wet nursed and tucked into their coffins at daybreak. Having said that, I don't think these two will let us down."

Arra glanced at the princes. "I speak from personal experience. I believe they will pass the trials." Arra looked fiercely at Kurda.

"And those who'd say otherwise—those who'd wrap them in blankets—should not be heeded! To deny Darren and Sloan to the rights of the trials would be shame to them!" Kurda glared back.

"Noble words. Will you repeat them at their funerals?"

"Better to die with pride than live in shame." Arra snapped back. Paris nodded his head. "Yes, Arra. I see your point. Let us put it to the hall. How many think Darren and Sloan should undertake the trials of initiation?"

Sloan's ears flickered as she watched almost every hand shoot up in the hall, Darren also scanning over nervously. Kurda turned back to them.

"What about you two? Are you prepared to face them?"

Sloan thought hard, her tails swishing as she glanced at Darren, who looked into her eyes and for a split second, he could here his own voice echoing into her head;

'We'll do it...together!'

"How about it? Will you face death just to prove yourselves to these fools?" Kurda asked the two. Sloan and Darren's eyes flickered back and she could once again hear Darren's voice in her head, telling her they'd do it for their own pride.

"Uh...no." Larten looked liked a bullet had hit him with the look on his face.

"But..." Darren looked at Sloan, who bowed her head slightly as her ears perked up proudly.

"We'll do it, to prove it to ourselves."

All the vampires looked pleased as Mika stood up with the faintest smirk on his face.

"Then is it decided!"