twelve

A/N seeing the number of reads on my books makes me so happy i love you all so much

"Today we'll be learning about genetic mutations and the different problems that it could cause." 

Mr Jarvis was the Professor taking our lesson today. He had dishevelled hair, a checkered shirt and constantly looked like he was in pain. Like every other teacher.

The previous lectures had been alright. The professors were really nice and didn't give us much to do and of course sitting with Casey made it even more fun. But today, it was obvious that Mr Jarvis was more strict than the others and demanded all the attention to be on him.

We strolled into the lecture hall that morning, in no rush to start the lesson and we immediately got yelled at by Mr Jarvis. Everyone started to rush and with the entire group of kids from not only our school, but the other schools, pushing past each other, Casey and I got separated and didn't get to sit together. Thankfully, we were not that far away and she was just the row below, about six seats away.

During the lecture, she would turn around and give me a little smirk and I would subtly blow her a kiss. In other words, I was not paying attention at all. I knew I was going to regret not listening during the lab portion but Casey and I always manage to figure it out somehow.

Erika, who was sitting next to me, noticed the subtle exchanges between me and Casey and pretended to puke. "Are you taking notes? I'm seriously gonna need your help later on," I said and she proudly showed me her notebook that was full of scribbles. "I'm gonna be honest though, I have no idea what I'm writing. I miss when Bio wasn't this hard," She groaned.

"Then let's talk about more important things..." I mumbled and she looked at me, confused.

"Did Quinn say anything about the kiss?" I asked and I saw her face tense up. "No she hasn't. Ugh it's killing me I just ruined our friendship. And I have to be stuck with this awkwardness for months!"

"Um excuse me? The girl up there," we heard Mr Jarvis's voice and we whipped our heads around, worried that he had caught us having our own conversation. We then realised that he wasn't looking in our direction but was looking below us.

It was then that I saw Casey, her head on the table and fast asleep. Some giggles from students in the lecture hall was heard. Erika and I looked at each other in panic as Mr Jarvis walked towards her. The boy sitting next to Casey gently tapped her on her arm and she shot awake, only for the other kids to laugh even louder.

"What's your name?" He asked and Casey sat up straight.

I knew this wasn't gonna faze her. She's confident that way.

"Casey Gardner. Clayton Prep. Really, really enjoying your lesson sir," She said and Erika and I tried our best not to laugh. "You think you're funny huh?" He asked and she remained quiet but I just knew she was smirking at him.

"From your blank notes and your textbook still in your bag I'm assuming you're one of those students..." Mr Jarvis said and Erika and my amused expression immediately dropped and was replaced with anger.

Quinn who was sitting a few rows in front of Casey turned to look at her with a stern expression, as if telling her to bite her tongue and not say anything. Mr Jarvis looked at her for a few seconds more before returning to his table.

"This internship isn't just fun and games. It's pure hard work. You can't be sleeping in my class and then expect to do well on this internship," Mr Jarvis said, looking across the lecture hall.

"I think we should talk about Quinn later. If he sees us he's gonna whoop our asses," Erika whispered and I nodded.

After about 20 minutes of hearing Mr Jarvis talk about the most confusing facts and scribbling down everything I could catch, I noticed that Casey was searching through her bag. I kept my eyes on her, wondering what she was trying to find when she took out a piece of paper. She picked up her pen for the first time today and started to write on it. I figured she was just writing down notes so I was going to go back to listening when I saw her fold the paper. She turned around to look at me with a smirk before trying to reach her hand out and pass me the paper.