Chapter 14- Weekend Blues.

Zayne watched his siblings.

Stood at the living room entrance, he looked upon each one. Brayden lying on the 'L' part of the l-shaped couch, dozing off whilst watching his sister. Zach trying to keep Brynn on her stomach to keep her from putting pressure on her injured back. Silas and Zaiden laying out quilts and pillows on the floor. Ezra leaning against the wall staring at the couch, still dumbfounded by the events of this evening.

And Callan. Oh poor Callan. He sat on the rounded arm chair and his eyes were focused on the floor. The man's hands were shaking. With rage? Terror? Despair?

Zayne couldn't watch any longer. He clenched his eyes shut for a few seconds, gathering himself.

The oldest Verlice made his way to the kitchen, making himself the strongest coffee he could. He could have done with an entire bottle of vodka right now, however they threw out any and all alcohol when they heard of their little sister coming. They didn't need her to be exposed to that.

Although it seems that there were far worse things she was exposed to than simple alcohol.

He poured a second coffee upon hearing footsteps come close to the kitchen. He recognised them to be Callan's.

He didn't even look behind him as he reached back and placed the coffee mugon the kitchen island. He pushed it so it slid over to the other side where Callan was already stood.

No words were exchanged. They just sipped their bitter drinks.

Callan was first to initiate a conversation. "Is it our fault?"

Zayne stayed silent.

"Should we have tried to persuade father to let her stay? Done more check-ups on her and that bastard? Say something, Zayne!" his voice cracked at the final sentence, he was becoming increasingly pissed off with his emotionless older brother.

"We should have done a lot of things, brother," Zayne spun around to face Callan.

"Do you have no sympathy?" Callan hissed, leaning forward.

"Don't start, Callan."

"Do you have no care?" Callan's voice rose so loud, everyone in the living room, bar Brynn, winced.

"I have care!"

"Then fucking show it you dispassionate bastard!"

"Remember who you are talking to Callan!" Callan flinched at his brother's tone. Zayne stared him down, it not taking long for Callan to get nervous.

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

Callan ran his hands down his face as the kitchen and house were once again brought to silence.

Zayne went to leave but was halted at the doorway when Callan spoke again.

"What would dad say?"

It was deathly silent now.

"He would've burned the whole world down for her," Callan carried on.

Zayne straightened his back up, "and I will."

---