Chapter 7

-Emiko POV-

We went to see the game of Shutoko from the stands.
"Is Midorima gonna start?" I said. "But his fortune is bad"

"They're already ahead by 30 points with four minutes left in the second quarter" said Riko. "I'm not surprised"
"They're not doing anything that differently from us, but they make it look so easy" said Kawahara. "I wonder why?"

"Because they don't make any mistakes" said Hyuga. "In basketball, the ball's always moving back and forth very quickly. Without exception, strong schools always have solid basics like passing, handling and running. They make it look easy because their fundamentals are so solid. But those are only the fundamentals. Naturally, there's another reason. And that is they have a true scorer"

I looked at the guy beneath the hoop, he got the rebound perfectly and scored.
"What an amazing dunk!" said Kawahara.
"Is he really a high schooler?" asked Furihata.

"He's gotten even stronger" said Riko.
"We couldn't do anything about him last year" said Hyuga.
"Otsubo on the inside and a normal outside was Shutoku's game until last year, but this year..." said Riko.

"He's five of five so far" said Kagami. "Looks like Midorima's playing well"
"Is that right?" I said.
"I don't know" said Kagami. "Shouldn't you know?"

"I don't know" said Tetsuya. "We've never seen him miss"
Midorima scored, but his arc was way too high...
But... he never misses... he started walking back before the ball fell through the net.

"As long as Midorima-kun doesn't lose his form, he makes a 100% of his shots" said Tetsuya.
"Seriously?" asked Fukuda.
"That's just not fair" said Koganei.

"He's heading back to defend before he even makes his shot" said Tsuchida. "He's impossible to counter"
"The time until he actually makes his shot is abnormally long" said Riko. "It really gets to you mentally"

After the game, Midorima looked at us.
'He's gotten even better... this isn't good...'

~

"Okay let's go ho-" began Hyuga, but Riko interrupted him.
"Don't!" she yelled. "We've got one more game today! Are you stupid? Are you?!"
"I was kidding. The mood just seemed really gloomy" said Hyuga.

"Everyone checked the tournament bracket" said Izuki.
"Huh? We have another game? Seriously?" said Kagami.
"Kagami..." said Tsuchida.

"You really are stupid, Kagami!" shouted Riko. "Check the bracket properly! We play two games on the day of our fourth game as well as the last day! Our fifth game starts at 5 pm!"
"Two games in one day is too much" said Koganei.

"Yeah, even if we get a break, we're still tired" said Izuki.
"The semi-finals and the finals are on the same day?" asked Kagami. "Doesn't that mean we're playing a game before we play Shutoku? Coach, the three kings are Shutoku and..."

"Seiho and Senshinkan" said Riko.
"Isn't this..." said Kagami.
"On the last day, our semi-finals opponent will most likely be Seiho" said Riko. "We'd play Shutoku in the finals. We'll be playing against two of the kings in a row"

"That's impossible" said Furihata.
"Good schools have a lot of strong players" said Kawahara. "Our guys will all need to be benched"
"Two games in a day and both of our opponents are strong" smiled Kagami. "I couldn't ask for more"

"But this is too much" said Furihata.
"Who are you trying to impress?" asked Kawahara. "Right, Kuroko?"
"Sorry, I'm actually a little excited too" said Tetsuya.

"Did you get Kagami germs?" asked Furihata.
"What are you talking about?" asked Kagami.
"I really hope not" said Tetsuya.

"The way you denied that pisses me off" said Kagami.
"But, don't difficult situations light a fire in you?" asked Tetsuya and I smiled.
"All right! I'm on fire!" shouted Kagami. "I'm gonna go practice!"
"Don't!" I shouted. "You should rest! You unbelievable basketball idiot!"