Chapter 14

-Emiko POV-

"Aomine will be tough without Kuroko" said Hyuga. "Can we even manage it?"
"Two consecutive halves..." said Riko.
"Your misdirection won't work for a whole game, right?" asked Hyuga to Tetsuya.

"I don't think we should do it" said Izuki. "I've been watching with my eagle eye, but your effectiveness has already dropped off quite a bit. You should sit out for a while"
"I can do it" said Tetsuya and I sat down next to him. "No, I will do it. I will do anything to beat Aomine-kun"

"I appreciate your enthusiasm, but..." said Hyuga.
"Coach, could I get those?" asked Kagami, he grabbed one of the coach's bad lemons. "Kuroko"
Kagami pushed the lemon inside Tetsuya's mouth.

"Just eat those on the bench, you idiot" said Kagami, making me laugh. "You're the one who said you can't play basketball by yourself! Leave it to us!"
"Okay" said Riko. "We'll take Kuroko-kun out for a little bit during the second half. Our battle will begin in the fourth quarter! But it's meaningless if we pass the point of no return. Be ready to play any time in case we get close. Have some lemons"

I held my hand in front of my mouth when I saw the horror look on Tetsuya's face.
"Their inside is especially strong" said Riko. "We'll put in Tsuchida-kun during the third quarter. You and Mitobe-kun will guard the rim! Hyuga-kun and Izuki-kun, keep doing what you did in the first half. Keep marks on that mushroom, No. 9... and that glasses-wearing No. 4. The biggest problem is Aomine-kun, but there's only one guy who can handle him. Kagami-kun, we're counting on you!"

"Got it!" said Kagami.
"Let's fight! Seirin, fight!" shouted Riko.

"Kagami-kun" said Tetsuya when we walked back to the court.
"What?" said Kagami. "Have you calmed down a little?"

"Yes. More importantly..." said Tetsuya. "I have not seen Aomine's limits since he bloomed. Not only that, but just like Kise-kun and Midorima-kun, he has probably grown. Going forward, he is an unknown entity. Be careful"
"I couldn't ask for more" laughed Kagami.

"He's here" I said when I saw Aomine, all warmed up going to his bench.
"Let's do this already" he said.
"Hey, did you finish warming up?" asked Kagami.

"Keep fighting until the end" smiled Aomine. "If you have it in you"
I walked to Kagami and grabbed his ear and pulled him lower.
"Do you like to get in trouble?" I said and dragged him back to our bench.
"Ow! That hurts, Maeda!" he shouted.

~

"The third quarter will now begin!"
Not long after it started, Aomine and Kagami faced off.
But Aomine was faster than Kagami, Kagami couldn't keep up.

Mitobe and Tsuchida followed up.
"The help is fast!" said Furihata.
"And there's two of them!" said Kawahara.

But... Aomine used a fade way, and scored anyway...
Kagami almost got it, but was a second too late.
We tried a fast break, but Aomine was fast and stopped it.

Tetsuya was tense, something in Aomine changed.
He got faster and faster...
Kagami fell down and they tried to stop him with three guys.

But Aomine scored behind the basket...
"Tetsu..." I whispered, Aomine was different...
"I know" said Tetsuya.

Kagami jumped even higher, but even that couldn't stop Aomine...
But then... Kagami fouled Aomine while making a shot... so he got a free basket...
"This isn't your basketball, is it?" said Aomine. "The only one who can beat me is me. You can't fight me on your own. Come on out, Tetsu. Let's settle this"

We were 20 points behind...
"Kuroko-kun" said Riko.
"I'm fine" said Tetsuya. "I've had plenty of time to rest. I'm going"
I grabbed Tetsuya's wrist and he looked down at the wristbands.
"Go and wake him up" I whispered. He touched my hand and nodded.