12

Chapter Twelve: Part 1: Chocolate Street

The midmorning sun shone on Chocolate Street as Meriam and Lauren strolled along, towards Savannah Gardens. Birds whistled and squealed, and others circled the white cotton candy clouded sky. Chocolate Street began at the main road, near the Icacos Lagoon. It led to Savannah House, passing through the backyard and ending in Savannah Gardens. Savannah Gardens was a residential settlement; developed by the Cedros Choconut Industries and owned by Mr. Ralph Bastian. Choconut, so named, because the estate produced both cocoa and coconuts. There was another street which led to Savannah Gardens. This was Lime Street, used by the public. Chocolate Street was a private road, since it passed through the compound of Savannah House.

Both girls looked great as they sauntered along. Meriam wore a mid-calf length, blue long-sleeved dress with a wrap front bodice and 'v' neckline. It was the best she could find for a Hindu Prayers, since she'd left her Indian outfits back home. She wore just a small stud earring, and light makeup. She'd have gone makeup free if Lauren hadn't insisted. Lauren wore an-over-the-knee, three quarter length sleeved, white, blue and pink, floral printed dress. She, too, wore light makeup and a stud earring. Both girls styled their hair down and looked as though they'd stepped out of a fashion magazine.

Lauren raised her hand, blocking out the sun. She pointed out buildings, close by and distant. "This is the Big Yard where yuh find the estate buildings," she said.

Meriam saw many buildings, including: copra drying house, cocoa house, administrative office, and a huge new building, which Lauren said was nonfunctional at the moment.

"Ah hope dey don't leave it for ghosts and douens to come live in it," Lauren said.

Meriam's eyes opened wide. "Yeah, or jinns."

Lauren looked at Meriam, her eyes narrowed and eyebrows arched, showing the little furrows in her brow. "What is ah jinn?" she asked.

Meriam explained. "It's a creature dat Muslims believe exist in a world parallel to humans."

"You a Muslim?" Lauren asked.

"Yeah."

"Cool."

"And you?"

"Christian."

"Nice."

"Yeah, ah Muslim and ah Christian, walking together, going to a Hindu Prayers. Only in Trinidad you'd find that. The world could learn something from us."

Meriam admired Lauren's easy going nature, as she conversed in the TEC dialect. "Yes, dats why I love Trinidad so," she said.

"Yuh know, best country in de world."

Meriam agreed. "Yep."

They passed the new building and came into view of the newly built cocoa house. Two men stood on the roof. They were sliding the roof off the building's frame to allow the cocoa to dry in the sun. There was a tractor with freshly picked cocoa parked in the compound. Two men were unpacking the cocoa into huge crates behind the trailer. Another man emerged from the building. He had a familiar face. Meriam wasn't sure where she'd seen him.

Lauren called out to a Venezuelan guy, who smiled, waving at her. "Aye Enrique."

"¿A dónde vas?"

"A las oraciones en Savannah Gardens."

When they were no longer within earshot of the guy, Lauren said, "That's my future husband. You see how I like my Venezuelan man. Prefer the dark ones. Ent he resemble the guy from de Despacito video?"

Meriam found Lauren's behavior amusing. She chuckled. "Yes, he does."

Lauren beamed.

Meriam remembered the guy. "You were chatting with him last night, behind Savannah House?"