16

Part 1: Aarav's Touchiness

Meriam stirred from her dream-filled sleep, her phone's ringtone rousing her. She'd been dreaming of Aarav's house. She was walking through Savannah Gardens, only she couldn't remember what for, and had gone into his house. There she saw someone bricking up a room, sealing a woman alive, inside it forever. Forcing sleepy eyes open, she reached for her phone and answered. It was Aarav. He'd called after seeing her missed calls, explaining that last night, he'd gone hunting with Ralph and other guys, leaving his phone at home. When he'd returned, minutes after twelve, it was too late to call her. He sounded in buoyant spirits and longed to see her. She ended the call, agreeing to meet him at ten o'clock, when they'd be going to Constance beach in Icacos, another village in Cedros. Constance's beach was at Trinidad's southwestern tip. There you could see the Venezuelan coastline.

It was now six thirty am. She rose and went into the living room and began cleaning. Talia entered the living room from her bedroom, picked up the broom, and joined her. Together, they cleaned the living room, kitchen, porch, and the outside shed. Bani was making a breakfast of sada roti, pumpkin and cabbage and tomatoes. By the time they had finished cleaning, breakfast was ready. They washed their arms, neck and faces and went to the kitchen. Meriam was hungry. They took their food and sat in the dining room, eating a hearty breakfast. Bani had peeled avocados, and Meriam helped herself to a slice.

The next hour and a half, Meriam and Talia sat in the living room, where they set up their easels and began sketching.

Talia moved her arms over her artwork, exclaiming, "Look, it's you and Aarav on your wedding day. A Hindu Wedding." she joked.

Meriam looked at it and laughed.

"Wedding? Who said I was getting married?"

"So you not leaving me and going, aunty?"

"No. I not getting married soon."

Talia was silent for a while. "I asked mom to go cinema this evening, but she said no. Can you persuade her?"

"Will try... if she says no, we can go together. I'll ask Mr. Bean to drop and collect us."

"Great." Talia said.

Talia went nowhere besides school or to the grocery at Point Fortin. After her divorce, Bani never left the house, and Talia had to do likewise. She had friends at school, but Bani never let her leave the house with anyone except Meriam. She was growing up just as Meriam did, and she pitied her.

At ten o'clock, Aarav arrived and picked up Meriam and took her to the Constance beach at Icacos.

"How are you?" he asked.

"Great." she answered.

They were silent on the drive to the beach. He put his hand over her's, caressing it.

"How your hand so cold?" he asked.

"It just cold," she said, moving her hand away from his.

He glanced at her, holding his hand out as if expecting her to place her hand inside, which she did as he began caressing it again.

"How yuh hand so cold."

She removed it again. He glanced at her and she was uncomfortable. They continued along the road, quiet again for a while.

"So yuh fraid to hold my hand."

"No. Just yuh complaining of them being cold."

"Give me your hand."

She placed her hand in his again and he held it as he drove with one hand.

"See, just relax, I not going to bite yuh."