3

Part 1 - The 6:00 a.m. News

Later that day, Meriam called Savannah House to inquire about Ralph. She first called at 11:15 a.m. He was still missing. She called again at 1:00 p.m., and they'd found him. The maid, Elma, filled her in on the important details. Relieved, she said goodbye and replaced the receiver. Her sister Baní was washing dishes, and her niece, Talia, was sitting at the dining table in the living room, working on an assignment.

Talia looked up and appeared curious. "They find Ralph?" she asked.

"Yes. He was in the fields." She filled them in on what Elma told her: Trespassers had tied him up and the tour guide, Mr. Beharry, found him and took him to Savannah House. She's forgotten to enquire whether they'd notified the police, but she guessed they must have. Whatever she didn't know, she'd learn later.

Meriam thought of packing for her stay at Savannah House next week. She walked into her neat little bedroom, leaving the door ajar.

Talia rose and followed her into the room. "You need any help, aunty Meriam?"

The mention of the word 'aunty' gave Meriam a sudden feeling of Deja vu. She remembered little Talia calling her 'army Meriam' as she couldn't pronounce 'aunty'. "Sure Talia. Can you put those into de knapsack?" she replied.

Talia busied herself packing cosmetics and toiletries into the bag.

Meriam glanced at her, meeting glistening eyes. Tears filled her eyes too, making them sting. "I will miss you, Talia. But I'll come visit you, ah promise."

Talia nodded, dried her teary eyes, and composed herself.

Meriam asked, "Movie night tonight? Or karaoke?"

"Can we have both, aunty?"

"Yes! You read my mind, Talia."

That night, they had a ball. First, they sang karaoke, and though the loud singing and music was overwhelming for Bani, she survived. Afterwards, they put on a movie and watched it till they grew too sleepy to stay awake.

The next morning, Meriam woke at minutes to 6:00 a.m., and began helping Bani make breakfast of Tomato Choka and Sada Roti. She dusted the tawa and put it on the stove, before rolling out the dough, as Bani mashed the roasted tomatoes in a medium-sized plastic bowl.

"Stay tuned for the news at 6:00 a.m.," the radio's announcer said.

Meriam turned around to see Talia, who'd just woken. She'd turned on the mini-radio in the cozy living room. Meriam put the rolled dough on the tawa and watched as tiny bubbles formed on the surface before turning it again. Soon it rose as a commercial boomed over the airwaves. She eased the heavy tawa a few inches off the medium fire and turned the roti over it.

The announcer began the newscast. "Nature seekers made a gruesome discovery in Cedros on Saturday, where they found the skeletal remains of a human. According to reports, around 12:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, witnesses saw the skeletal remains along the route to the Savannah Eastern Road. The witnesses were touring the mud volcanoes at Savannah estate when they first discovered a twelve-year-old boy tied to a tree. The boy visited the Cedros Health Center, where the doctor examined him. Police are asking the public to report any information they may have by calling 800-CALL."

Meriam remained silent as she listened to the newscast, looking from Bani to Talia with her eyes and mouth opened wide.

"Is dat news of Ralph?" Bani asked.

"Yes, but I now hearing about the skeletal remains."

"Dem didn't mention it?" Talia asked.

"No, they didn't?"