23

Chapter Twenty Three: Part 1: Sex Island Scammer

The first day, Thursday, after Aarav left, Meriam emailed him. There was no reply. She emailed him two days later, on Saturday, thinking he was on the site, and not the office. Still no reply. Later that week, he called on Sunday, and explained the messages go to a server he doesn't trust. He added that his company had court cases, and authorities could seize his phone and laptop any time. And if seized, he didn't want to implicate her. So it was better if he didn't reply. He said she could email him if she had a problem. Still, he couldn't reply.

Meriam thought his reasoning strange, but remained quiet. She deliberated and questioned whether he was honest. What did he fear? Her mind wandered in circles. Had she spooked him, accusing him of being with Mariana? She needed her questions answered.

He called her on Monday of the second week. She forgot her questions, as his unexpected call surprised her, leaving her without focus. They discussed the hotel and Guyana scenery. Then he ended the call, leaving for work.

The next week, he called on Monday again and they chatted. The rest of the days he did not call, and she didn't bother interrupting his work, or raising his phone bill. She stopped emailing him too, since he didn't reply and it was more a monologue than a conversation. At least he was calling her, though, once a week. With that, she remained content.

Three Weeks Later

Everything went on as usual at Savannah House. Meriam tended to Elaine and gave lessons to Ralph, who kept improving with passing time. It was now three months since she came to work in Savannah and seven weeks since Meriam's childhood home burned and Bani began working at the Chocolate Factory. She and Bani had purchased a sofa set for their living room, where they'd settle in Savannah Gardens. They'd visited their old spot in Granville and hoped to rebuild a tiny house on the very spot since they didn't want to keep spending money on rent for the rest of their lives. They decided it was best to rent for now and rebuild a small house in Granville.

Lauren was still at Savannah House. Whenever not spending time with Enrique, she and Meriam did enjoyable things together. They went to the movies and sometimes Valentina accompanied them. They invited Ana, too, but she declined each time. Another day, they baked cookies and pastries. Other times, they just hang out at Savannah House.

Ana's behavior was still peculiar. Lauren still speculated on her problem, though Meriam perceived Mariana's arrest as the reason. She wondered by now if they repatriated her to Venezuela. Considering what Dulcy said, she rationalized if true, Ana might know, and that'd explain her behavior. But Aarav had denied being with her that Sunday, as Dulcy claimed. And she never bothered asking him if he was with her before that. She remembered his response when she saw him in the office talking to Mariana. He didn't confess to a relationship. Even if they had a relationship, he'd never admit it, she thought. Her thoughts turned to cheaters. She'd learned that a player and a cheater had one differing characteristic. A player told women he had other women. But a cheater fooled women into thinking they were the only one. Her mind went round in circles the more she considered. A part of her mind contemplated whether he was telling the truth and she was just overthinking.

Soon it was Wednesday and Aarav was due back. She kept her phone near, hoping for his call. He didn't call until later that night when she was falling asleep. He informed her he was at the airport waiting for his father. Deo was coming with his vehicle so he could drive home. They chatted until he reached home. He said he was coming to Savannah Friday and couldn't wait to see her. Meriam felt thrilled. The anxiety she felt before found its release that night. She was on a rollercoaster ride the past three weeks. It was unsettling and unusual for her. No one ever put her on an emotional rollercoaster. She hoped she didn't have to experience that anymore. She believed her heart might collapse, and she might die from the emotional highs and lows of the past weeks. They said good night, and she fell asleep soon afterwards.