7

Part 1 - Swollen Eyes

That night, Meriam made dinner of sada roti, pumpkin, and bodi, with decaffeinated green tea. She found a bottle of honey in the cupboard and used it to sweeten her tea. She preferred using honey and used it at least once or twice a week to sweeten her tea instead of sugar. Now they sat in the living room as they ate and watched the evening news.

The newscaster began speaking. "One suspect charged with abducting a Cedros youth over the weekend has died. Thirty-five-year-old George Martin died on Wednesday at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt. Hope. Officers of the Special Operations Team arrested Martin last Saturday, at his home in Fullerton Village, Cedros. According to reports, Martin suffered injuries while trying to escape and the officers took him to a hospital where he stayed until his death. Martin, on Monday, confessed to killing Anton Williams, whose skeletal remains police discovered in Cedros last weekend. Williams disappeared one night, a year ago, while hunting with friends. Martin was one of two persons detained for kidnapping the Cedros youth," she said.

Meriam thought the suspect dying in police custody was strange. She imagined various scenarios as she ate until her brain grew too tired. After supper, Elaine continued watching television until it was her bedtime. Thereafter, Meriam retired to bed and read herself to sleep.

Valentina come back Tuesday night, late when Dan drop her off. And he go with her in savannah house and they talk. Tuesday night maybe let Mariana come back with Valentina. Maybe Aarav broke up with her or he send her off. And she vex.

The following morning, Valentina returned to Savannah House. Meriam noticed that her signature smile had faded, and she looked a worried shell of her former self. Her eyes appeared puffy and there was a small sore on her swollen lower lip. "How you doing?" Meriam asked.

Valentina lowered her gaze and continuing mopping the floor. After a while, she spoke. "I okay," she said.

Meriam sensed her hesitancy to speak and ended the conversation. Then they both went about their morning routines.

At lunchtime, when Valentina had almost finished her chores, she sat with Elaine and Meriam in the dining room, having lunch. They were enjoying the delicious chicken pelau she'd made, along with the avocado Aarav had brought yesterday.

Valentina looked up curiously. "So who cook yesterday?" she asked.

Meriam noticed her eyes still appeared swollen. "I did."

"You good cook?"

"I alright. I made sada roti, pumpkin and bodi."

Valentina's mood lightened, and she smiled widely, making her cheeks look like rosy apples. "Me learn to make sada roti in Trinidad," she said.

Meriam felt happy seeing Valentina's smile. "Yes, you made it yesterday morning. It was nice and soft," she said.

Valentina nodded.

"So you like Trinidadian or Venezuelan food more?" Meriam asked.

"Venezuelan food more, but Trinidad food good too."

Elaine had finished eating. "It have more avocado?" she asked.

"Yes," Meriam said, rising.

Just then, Ana, Valentina's friend, strolled into the dining room. "Hola," she said.

"Hola," Meriam answered before going to the kitchen for the avocado. As she was walking back, the mention of Aarav's name caught her attention. She listened, but they spoke too fast for her to understand a single word.