9

Aarav was ravishing in dark blue jeans and a slim-fit, red polo, which complemented his military build. Tonight, he appeared different, a serious man no one dared cross. Or maybe something worried him. His solemn eyes arrested Meriam before turning to greet everyone.

"Good night," he said.

Everyone returned the greeting, including Meriam.

"Welcome, Aarav!" Mr. Bastian said.

He approached their table and took a seat just as his phone rang. He reached into his jeans pocket, retrieving and staring at it before answering, his voice inaudible. Then he looked at his phone's screen again, frowned and put it back into his jeans pocket.

His eyes met Meriam's, who looked away, feigning interest in Ralph and his friend's game of cards. She didn't mind looking at him. It's the way she felt when she looked into his eyes; drawn to him, she felt as if an electric current had passed between them, connecting them as a flower to a stalk. It scared her.

She continued looking at Ralph and his friends playing cards, glancing now and then towards Elma and Dulcy, working away in the kitchen. Keith walked towards his mother and spoke to her. Lauren was still busy talking with whomever she'd recognized. Keith's brothers, Ray and Keshon, approached Meriam, trying to make conversation. They'd been sitting with Keith when she first entered the backyard. She glanced at Aarav, seeing him engaged in conversation at his table. Everyone huddled close, listening to Danny Thomas. She refocused her attention on Ray and Keshon.

Keshon laughed. "I getting jokes on dem playing cards," he said.

"Tyo making up de rules." Ray said.

"Yeah, He calling everything ah hand."

Meriam scrutinized the cards. It amused her to see Tyo laying his cards on the table, claiming he'd won, as everyone protested.

"No, dat is not ah hand." Ralph said.

Mike held his hands up high, protesting. "You cheating," he said.

Keshon stopped the brawl. "Allyuh want me to show you how to play de game?" he asked.

"Yeah, come take Tyo place." Ralph said.

"No. I not taking he place. Let me explain de rules of Rummy to everyone."

Everyone listened as Keshon explained.

Just then, a raucous laughter rocked through the backyard. Meriam turned toward its source as Ana dissolved and cracked up more. Everyone looked on, amused. Even Aarav couldn't prevent the polite smile creeping over his lips. He glanced at Meriam, his eyes alight. Ana scanned everyone's faces, feeling embarrassed. She looked at Elma and Dulcy, who stood staring at her.

"Is you laughing so, Ana? Dat was you?" Elma asked.

Ana flashed a wide grin, which soon turned to audible laughter. Next, she glanced at Meriam before turning back to her table.

Annoyed, Dulcy shook her head. "... ridiculous!" she said.

Keith walked towards Ana's table and began conversing with her, as Danny rose and disappeared inside the house. Meriam looked at Ralph and his friends. Within moments, Venezuelan music filled the quiet night. The other Venezuelan man sitting around the table with Mr. Bastian began dancing. Keith soon joined him. He tried to encourage a scandalous laughing Ana to accompany him, but she refused.

Keshon finished explaining the game to the young boys, and stood staring at those who'd started dancing, a huge grin on his face. Meriam watched as he strolled towards Keith, who was gyrating to the music. Danny flashed Keith a condescending look, taking hold of Ana's hand as she leapt to her feet and started dancing to the music. Mr. Bastian, Carnoe, Frederick and Aarav struck up a conversation. Glancing towards the makeshift kitchen, Meriam noticed Dulcy shaking her head, her hand on her waist. She looked angry, speaking to Elma, who grated something in a bowl.