28

Chapter Twenty Eight: Part 1: His Rules EDITED 86% (1129 words)

Later that day, Aarav phoned Meriam. He was on his way to Savannah. She expected he'd find out she'd asked his yard man for him, so she told him. Aarav disliked her enquiring about him and grew impatient to meet her. He hung up, saying they needed to talk. Twenty minutes later, he picked her up and took her to the beach.

He parked and turned toward her, his face serious. "What did you ask my yardman?"

Meriam felt intimidated by his intense stare. "I was passing by your house, going to the Chocolate factory and I saw him. I asked him where you went?"

He shook his head and looked out his opened window. Then he turned to her again. "Why'd you do that, Meriam? Didn't I tell you where I went?"

Meriam grew fearful. She'd heard him get upset over the phone. But this was the first time she'd seen his anger. She lowered her gaze, feeling uncomfortable. "I'm sorry, Aarav."

"What did he tell you?"

She looked at him, his eyes still on her, as if studying her. She thought he looked tired of her. "That you went to Point Fortin."

"Like I told you. What else did you ask him?" he asked.

"When you'd return. But he said he didn't know."

Silence. He continued staring at her, his eyes hard.

Afraid, Meriam wondered what he was thinking. She glanced away, and her eyes quickly returned to gaze at him. "He said he'd tell you I'd asked for you. I lied and told him I lived on Fullerton's main road."

He shook his head and glanced out his window before turning to look at her. "I'm sure he knows you live in the same street as me."

Meriam felt foolish and wished she hadn't questioned his yardman. She hated lying to him. That's why she told him everything. Now she faced his anger. Maybe he'd calm down soon. She disliked how he stared at her.

A police vehicle drove onto the beach. It turned and stopped beside Aarav's van. A police officer asked Aarav what he was doing there. He told them he went for a drive with his girlfriend. They asked him where he lived. He told them he was from Couva, adding that he had a house in Savannah Gardens. Then they asked for his identification card and driver's license. They didn't question Meriam. She wondered if the whole scenario was a farce. Maybe they knew him, and they pretended to question him. He had a gleam in his eyes as they conversed. He wasn't afraid, and they looked impressed by him. Not like they feared he was a dangerous criminal. The entire scene made her wonder whether they had a secret agenda. Were they part of his gang? Meriam deliberated and dismissed the idea, thinking she was going crazy.

After they left, Aarav's anger appeared to dissipate, and the gleam lingered in his eyes. "What if they'd asked you what you're doing with me?"

"I'd tell them you're my fiancé. Have you forgotten we're engaged?"

"I haven't."

Silence.

He broke the silence. "From now, don't call me. I'll call you."

Meriam wondered why he was asking her that. "But we're engaged."

"That's why you need to change. You can't continue as you are and keep jumping to conclusions."

Meriam looked at him, unbelieving.

"I'm serious. Don't call me. From now on, I will call you. Learn to obey me, Meriam."

Though confused, she agreed, too afraid to argue with him. "Okay."

Aarav left that evening for Couva. Monday morning, Meriam was back at Savannah House. Ralph was back at school. It was the last week of school for him and he'd be getting his test report. Meriam had great expectations for him. Lauren hadn't come to Savannah the past weekend, as she had examinations too. She was coming at the week's end.