31

Afterword

Valentina

Not Long afterward, Lauren, Meriam, Enrique, Elma, the Bastians, Talia, and Bani held a small wedding ceremony for Valentina. She'd confessed to Lauren that she went through a rough time with a guy called Daniel Dookie, and their relationship turned abusive. It was then she found the strength to end it. She was seeing someone else then, too. He was a decent, quiet Indo-Trinidadian guy. Valentina also confessed to Lauren that her papers were false and that she'd have to return to her country soon. It was Lauren who asked to meet her boyfriend, and she'd proposed that they should both marry. Strangely, they both listened and got married a few weeks later. Valentina continued working at Savannah House in happier spirits this time.

Mariana

Ana eventually came around and curbed her anger toward Meriam. Lauren had made friends with her and got her to confide. One day, after hanging out with Meriam and the other girls, she confessed to her that Mariana came to Trinidad at Aarav's behest. She was his girlfriend, and he broke up with her just after he'd met Meriam. Mariana knew of this and whenever Aarav wasn't in his house, she thought he was at Savannah House with Meriam. She found a secret entry into Savannah House through Elaine's bedroom window. She often sneaked in to see if he was there. But she'd find he wasn't. After her arrest, the authorities repatriated her to Venezuela and there she remained since that time.

The Secret Squad

The night Lauren went snooping in the Chicks and Drinks bar resulted in the arrests of the Secret Squad members. The bar, owned by Matt Broker, was also shut. Maria Mieres, Valentina's friend, turned out to be the female bartender. Police arrested her that night along with Matt Broker, John Gonzales, and Satnarine Lalbeharry. They were all implicated in a drug smuggling and human trafficking ring, charged, and convicted. Further investigations led to the arrests of Daniel Dookie, Joe Cooper, and Satnarine Lalbeharry a few weeks later. They were also charged and convicted. The four other women, who were staying at Joe Cooper's house were also found to be victims of human trafficking and forced prostitution. The victims all received counseling from authorities within Trinidad and were afterward repatriated to Venezuela. Information from the victims also led to the arrests and convictions of drug and human traffickers in Venezuela who were linked to those in Trinidad and Tobago.