17

Chapter Seventeen: Part 1: Dropped Call EDITED (717 words)

Savannah House was quiet when Meriam arrived. Valentina was mopping the foyer's floor and opened the front door for her. Meriam said good morning, removed her shoes and tiptoed on the wet floor, being careful not to leave any traces, towards the living room where Elaine was sitting looking at television and having breakfast. Elma was sitting beside her, keeping her company. It was eight o'clock. Ralph had left for school at the Lochmaben RC School, in Fullerton, Meriam learned. Savannah was just half of the larger neighbourhood called Fullerton. She knew it was revision week of the last term in Standard Four, promotion term, very crucial for Ralph. He was preparing for the end of term exams, which would begin next week Monday. Every evening, she'd planned to give him lessons to improve his grades.

Lauren had left. She studied at the University of the West Indies, pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and was preparing for end of term examinations. Elma said she'd return in a fortnight. Meriam chatted with her before going to her room to unpack. She'd brought her paints, the painting she'd started Saturday, and a few books. Then she returned downstairs where Elaine had finished eating. Meriam helped her off the recliner and into the wheelchair and wheeled her to her bedroom. She took the elder woman's vitals and helped her bathe and then brought her back out into the living room where she fell asleep watching television.

Meriam changed the channel just as the news began. The announcer was speaking of the Venezuelans still missing at sea. Just then, Valentina entered the great room.

"The search is on for twenty-nine Venezuelans still missing at sea. The twenty-nine were on board the Latina Mambo, heading to Trinidad, when it sank, just miles off the Venezuelan coast. Venezuelan authorities are continuing the search."

The announcer continued. "In other news, a magistrate granted Daniel Dookie bail earlier today, after Insp Sylvester of the Professional Standards Bureau charged him for possession of ammunition. Last Saturday, officers arrested Dookie at a house in Park Street, Siparia. Dookie will appear before a Point Fortin magistrate in six weeks' time." Dookie's picture flashed across the screen as Meriam and Valentina listened.

Afterwards, Valentina returned to her house chores and Meriam made use of her free time. She got her paints and unfinished painting, and started painting, sitting where she sat, teaching Ralph. She'd been painting for more than half an hour when her phone rang.

"Hello."

"Hi, what's happening?" Aarav asked, his voice pleasant.

"I'm at Savannah House. Ms Elaine is sleeping, so was painting."

"What you painting?"

"A shipwrecked sunset."

Meriam rose and began pacing the floor. Soon she stood between the great room and the foyer. He talked of his job and that he was doing a site visit at the Red House in Port of Spain and that tomorrow he might come to La Brea at the Mitsubishi Plant, but was unsure. He said he'd call her tonight and ended the call. Just then, Meriam noticed Valentina standing in the foyer with her phone to her ear and looking very distressed. She stayed where she was, observing her.

"Halo... Halo... Halo... Alondra..," she said. Moments after, she looked at her phone, dialled and held it to her ear. There was no answer. She called again and got no answer. She looked worried and sad.

Valentina glanced at Meriam and flashed a weak smile, continuing to do her cleaning.

Meriam went back to doing her art. Fifteen minutes later, Valentina entered the great room. Seeing Meriam, she walked over to her and looked at her art. "You paint very good." she said, showing great interest and sitting beside her.