13

Chapter Thirteen: Part 1: What She Liked About Him (1065 words)

The living room's air conditioner's soft whir, Ms Elaine's light snore and Lauren and Enrique's inaudible chuckle were the only sounds present inside Aarav Agarwal's cosy little flat. Ms Elaine lay stretched out on a comfortable brown leather recliner. The brown and black patterned sofa set complemented the coral painted walls of the medium-sized room. A lone painting of a quiet countryside hung on the western wall, eight feet from the washroom's door.

Meriam remembered the first time she'd looked through that door, when Chandra, Aarav's step mother, opened it earlier. She'd been sitting with Ms Elaine inside the living room, after she'd eaten. She could never forget the effect of seeing inside the turquoise blue washroom, against the coral coloured wall. Both colours merged as if in harmonious youthful play. She marvelled at it and when the door had closed; Meriam felt she'd been to a fantasy world where colours frolicked and awoke, captivating any admirer.

Enrique had arrived long after the prayers. He and Lauren had been inseparable since then. Meriam tried to fight the nervousness as she sat on the three-seat sofa, anticipating Aarav walking through the front door. He'd gone out with Mr Bastian. It was half-past four in the afternoon and only Meriam, Ms Elaine, Lauren, and Enrique had remained at Aarav's house. Mr Bastian had offered to take them home, but Aarav insisted they stay awhile, offering to drop them off later. Mr Bastian had held up a finger, pointing it at Aarav and smiling. Aarav had smiled back as Mr Bastian turned to Meriam and the others and waved goodbye.

Not long afterwards, he entered through the front door. His eyes flickered towards Meriam before glancing at Lauren and Enrique, who cuddled on the double sofa, looking happy. They looked up as Aarav entered.

"Wanna play cards?" Lauren asked.

Turning to Meriam, he asked, his voice soft, "Know how to play?"

"Yep. I taught her. Doh worry, she good." Lauren said.

"Okay, let's play."

"Está bien, Aarav y yo contra ustedes dos," Enrique said.

Meriam looked confused.

Enrique pointed to himself and Aarav, then to Meriam and Lauren. "Me and Aarav... you and Lauren."

Meriam understood.

"He means he and Aarav against de two of us," Lauren said.

Meriam understood what Enrique had said. She thought he had great English-speaking skills. To her, every Venezuelan she'd met had better English-speaking skills than she could boast of having Spanish-speaking skills. She knew so little of their language and thought it's time she learned.

"Yes, I got that."

Aarav was looking at her the entire time, his eyes gentle. They pulled the sofa seats closer to the centre table. Aarav brought a chair from the dining table. He set it by the front door and sat. There was no sofa there. Reaching to the base of the center table, he picked up a deck of cards lying on a stack of magazines.

Meriam got up from the three-seat sofa, which was opposite Aarav, and sat on the single sofa opposite Lauren, but next to Aarav. Lauren remained on the double seat sofa. Enrique got up and went to sit opposite Aarav.

Aarav started shuffling the pack and as she watched, she remembered the skilful way her father used to shuffle and share the cards. He was a professional and Aarav was just as skilful, she thought. He shared seven cards for everyone and laid the remaining cards on the table. The top card he displayed beside the deck. They were playing rummy.

Meriam arranged her cards as best she could and leant back, waiting. Enrique and Lauren took their time arranging their cards. Aarav sat upright, looking relaxed. Meriam felt something touch her foot just above her ankles. She looked to see Aarav rubbing his feet against her foot before moving it. His eyes and semi-full lips smiled, parting to show his white teeth, which remained together as he looked ahead of him at Enrique. Meriam turned to jelly. She glanced at Lauren and Enrique, to see them both focused on their cards, as she wondered if they'd noticed.