25

Chapter Twenty Five: Part 1: The Chicks and Drinks Bar

Meriam didn't see Aarav until six weeks later. She took solace in knowing their time apart would soon end. She looked forward to seeing him again. During the first week and a half, she called him and they chatted often. Then, afterwards, she couldn't reach him, but he always returned her call. One time, he didn't call for three days. She left messages but didn't hear from him. The third night of his non communication, she was at home with Bani and Talia. Being idle, her anxiety got the better of her. She called countless times, leaving countless messages. She didn't want to appear desperate, but thought something happened to him. Maybe he got injured in an accident or kidnapped? She even thought it was a poor phone connection. Guyana, she knew, had its own country code, and maybe she needed to call a different number. But she remembered getting Aarav on his current number and dismissed the idea. Of course, he said his phone was roaming. Maybe he didn't have the service anymore. She let it drop, deciding she was clueless about telecommunication, and speculated he had good reason for not returning her calls. Still, she wondered.

The following morning, Sunday, she rose early and went for a jog on the road to calm her weary nerves. She began at the start of Lime Street and jogged towards the end of the road, past the old wooden house after Joe Cooper's. She noticed five strange vehicles parked on the roadside outside Joe Cooper's and Daniel Dookie's houses. Both houses appeared vacant. And, of course, she knew Aarav's house was empty. There were two vehicles without license plates. Since she moved there with her sister Bani, it was the first time she noticed so many vehicles parked there. She thought it was strange.

Later that day, she noticed the red pickup she once saw near Savannah House. The vehicle parked at Lime Street's junction near the quarry and remained idle. It appeared to be waiting. Nobody emerged from or entered it. Perhaps someone exited the vehicle from the other side, next to the bushes. Meriam stared at the vehicle before going inside the house. Half an hour later, hearing a rolling sound, she peered out the front door to see the vehicle leaving.

On Monday, Meriam returned to Savannah House. That afternoon, as Elaine slept, Aarav phoned her. He explained he was in a poor reception range, and calling multiple times was unnecessary. He said to call once, and if she couldn't reach him, he'd return her when possible. She heard this before, but expressed her fears that something had happened to him. He listened, saying nothing.

The following week, while at Savannah House, she called him once. He was in a meeting and couldn't talk. Hours later, he called her, explaining that if he was in a meeting, he couldn't answer and recommended she call only at lunchtimes, except on Tuesdays. He gave no explanation, and she didn't question him, though she thought it strange.

Later that week, she called him during the specified time about an urgent matter, and he didn't reply. He messaged her, saying he couldn't talk. But, right afterwards, a man called her, asking for Dwayne. She told him he had the wrong number.

The fourth week, Meriam seldom called, afraid to disturb him. Aarav called once that week for five minutes before rushing to work. That same day, a Venezuelan woman called her, asking for Susan. She spoke good English, but Meriam recognized the Venezuelan accent. Meriam told her she had the wrong number. The following day, a different woman called, asking for Mary. Meriam said it was the wrong number, wondering why so many strange people were calling her. Were they really wrong numbers?

By the time five weeks had passed, Meriam stuck with the assigned call schedule, seldom calling him when he'd suggested and avoided calling during meetings. She didn't want to interrupt his work. If he needed to talk to her, he'd call, which he did twice that week. She concentrated on her lessons with Ralph, looked after Elaine; and read and painted in her spare time. Sometimes she hung out with Valentina, which often meant sitting and chatting on the sofa. Other times, they got together and baked pastries, such as coconut rolls, currant rolls, cheese rolls, and cheese puffs.