20

Chapter Twenty: The Harvest Festival

Monday morning, Meriam was back at Savannah House. This was her fifth week there. Everyone looked forward to the Harvest Festival on Saturday, including Meriam. She wasn't going home this weekend. Mr Bastian was coming alone, as Agatha was visiting with relatives.

Though Ralph was on holiday, he still had lessons with Meriam. She focused on reading skills and they read stories and role-played them. He had fun.

The week flew by and soon it was Saturday. Elaine was due for her checkup with her doctor today. Mr Bastian took her. She suffered chest pains on the way, and Mr Bastian said the doctor was keeping her for observations in the nursing home.

Lauren was back at Savannah, her University examinations having ended. Meriam was glad to see her. Saturday before lunch, she and Miriam Were on the patio cutting up coconuts to make sugar cake, a delicacy they hoped to display at the harvest later. Valentina was wrapping coconut soaps in wrapping. They, too, were part of the product display later.

Valentina's phone rang, and she answered it. "Halo," she said.

There appeared to be no answer. Then Valentina's face alighted. "Alondra?"

Lauren became concerned. She stared at Valentina, who replaced her phone and continued wrapping the soaps. "Everything alright Valentina?"

"I thought it was my cousin Alondra."

"Alondra?"

"Yes. She was coming to Trinidad and the boat sink."

"Oh, yes. I hear about that."

Valentina was silent.

"How you know is she calling you? Did she speak?"

"A woman answer and say HELP."

"What? Did the number register?"

"Yes."

Lauren asked to see the number and stored it on her phone. "We need to tell the police. That is not a normal thing."

Ana exited Managerial wing and saw them on the patio. She approached, smiling, looking at what they were doing. She said something in Spanish to Lauren and Valentina and she smiled. Then she moved near Meriam, who felt something step on her toes.

"Aww," she yelped, holding onto her foot.

Lauren and Valentina grew curious.

"What's wrong," Lauren asked.

Ana eyed her miserably. She walked away with her elbow protruding from her side. She jammed her elbow into Meriam's side. Lauren and Valentina looked on in shock. Meriam put her hand to her side, where Ana pushed her. It hurt.

Lauren looked at Meriam, then called after Ana. "Wait, Ana, wait."

Valentina called after her. "Ana estas loca."

Ana stopped and turned.

"What going on Ana. That's not you?"

Valentina looked shocked as she looked at Ana. "¿Qué sucedió?"

Ana looked away, spoke in Spanish, and continued walking towards the back gate.

Lauren called her. "No. Necesitamos hablar con Ana."

Ana exited the back gate and walked towards the Big Yard, her nose in the air, and her hips swinging ninety degrees. It appeared as if she hadn't heard.

Lauren turned to Meriam. "Ana has a serious problem. I will have to talk to her? Have she ever behaved this way?

Meriam's side had stopped aching, but her toes still hurt. She told Lauren of the time she called her and didn't answer, explaining that maybe she hadn't heard. "Well, she never smashed my foot then."