8

The sun's rays cast medium-length shadows on the ground, where light and shade danced in the quiet, breezy early evening. The foyer's clock chimed four as the day came closer to surrendering itself to the dusk. Elaine, having recovered, sat on the front porch with Meriam, Lauren, and Ralph; Ralph and Lauren making a bigger bamboo kite frame, and Meriam combing out Elaine's hair. Elaine was due for a checkup in a month's time with the neurologist who treated her Alzheimers. Elma's niece, nurse Louisa, who worked at the Cedros Health Centre, paid Elaine a visit. Elma had phoned her. She spoke with Mr. Bastian and the others, encouraging everyone to practice patience in caring and supporting the older woman. Louisa further warned against arguing with her or bringing up disturbing issues. She gave Meriam tips on dealing with Alzheimer's patients before leaving.

Meriam wound Elaine's hair into a neat bun and secured it with a clip. She took a deep breath, straightening up, before looking onto the road leading up to Savannah House. Way in the distance, she could see a man standing beside a black van and pointing towards Savannah House. The man then entered the vehicle, which began driving uphill, towards the house. The vehicle drew nearer and Meriam recognized it was Aarav's van. Lauren and Ralph looked up to see the approaching vehicle.

"Oh, dat's Aarav. He told me he was coming later," Lauren said.

Meriam wondered when he told her that.

Ralph must have read her thoughts. "When he tell you dat?" he asked.

"When he dropped me, earlier today."

"He tell grandpa he coming too. We supposed to go camping dis weekend."

Just then, Mr. Bastian emerged from the library where he'd been working. He stood, his phone to his ear, listening and peering towards the approaching vehicle. His thin lips curved into a welcoming smile. He switched off the phone and walked towards the porch steps. Aarav drove into the yard, stopping in front of the porch, his driver's side glass winded and his van facing north. He glanced at Meriam, whose eyes locked with his, before she glanced away as he diverted his attention to Mr. Bastian.

They exchanged pleasantries. "Good evening."

Carnoe, who sat in the front passenger seat, exited the vehicle and walked towards the porch. He began climbing the steps as he greeted everyone. "Good evening."

Lauren rose and called out to Aarav, who was searching the back seat of his van. "Aarav, I thought you were coming earlier."

Aarav turned to face her. His eyes darted towards Meriam, his face pleasant and eyes alight. "When did I say I was coming early?" he asked.

"Well, you never said dat. Ah just thought you was coming early."

"De man have things to fix in de house, too, yuh know." Carnoe said.

Aarav smiled at Carnoe's interruption before closing the back door of his van and walking towards the porch. Carnoe, now inside the porch, inspected the kite that Ralph and Lauren were making. He commented how he loved making kites as a young boy.

"Good evening everyone." Aarav said, entering the porch. He glanced at Meriam before turning to Mr. Bastian, who welcomed him with a smile.

"How was today's meeting?" Mr. Bastian asked.

"Oh, you know the usual stuff. Everyone wants to rush the construction, but that's not possible."

"No, no. You're right. You don't rush that."

"My thoughts exactly." Aarav turned his attention towards Elaine. "Ma, how you doing?"

"I doing good. My head does hurt me sometimes."