6

Part 1 - The Morning News

The rowdy beeping alarm bore into her eardrums as Meriam writhed beneath the covers on the soft mattress. She reached for her phone, fighting sleep, forcing her heavy eyelids open. It was 6:00 a.m. She set the alarm to snooze and closed her eyes again. Just a little more sleep, she wished. Soon, reality dawned on her. It was the first night she'd slept away from home, and she'd slept well. She opened her eyes and stared at the ornate gypsum ceiling. The alarm sounded again. She sat upright and switched it off before turning on the radio.

The newscaster was delivering the news. "One man in custody for abducting a young boy in Savannah, Cedros, South Trinidad, has identified the skeletal remains discovered there as belonging to Anton Williams. Early Saturday afternoon, witnesses found the skeletal remains a few hundred meters from the Savannah Eastern Road. Williams disappeared one night, a year ago, while hunting with friends. The suspect confessed to killing Anton Williams and burying him on the spot. Sargent Sylvester of the Cedros Police Station is continuing investigations. The police are asking anyone with information to call 999 or report anonymously to 800-CALL."

Leaving the radio on, she showered and dressed before switching it off and going downstairs. It was 7:00 a.m., and she was on time. Her first chore was helping Elaine tidy herself, but when she checked in on her, the old woman was fast asleep. A light snore matched the rise and fall of her chest. Choosing not to disturb her peaceful countenance, she went into the kitchen, where Valentina was busily making breakfast.

Meriam greeted her. "Good morning."

Valentina lowered her head. "Morning. How you sleep?"

"Great!" Meriam replied.

"Dat good," she replied, her eyes and head still lowered.

Meriam remembered Valentina leaving and returning last night. "How did you sleep?" she asked.

She glanced at Meriam. "Good," she answered.

Meriam noticed her eyes looked puffy and speculated about it.

Suddenly, Elaine called out for Meriam. She gave the elder woman a sponge bath, helped change her clothes, and tidied her hair before taking her to the dining room for breakfast. Elaine usually had breakfast there. This morning, she had sada roti, sauteed tomatoes with melongene, and green tea. Meriam and Valentina sat with her, having their breakfast, too.

"I see de soucouyant last night, peeping me again," Elaine said.

"What?" Meriam asked. She thought it'd be better if she slept downstairs near Elaine, and not upstairs. She'd have to remind the Bastians.

Elaine repeated. "The soucouyant come last night."

"Mama, you must have been dreaming," Meriam said, her tone pleasant.

Elaine stared at Valentina. "I see you too, last night."

Valentina looked confused. "What mama?" she asked.

"I walk with my walker. I call you and you never answer me," Elaine said.

Valentina's lips parted slightly as she stared at Elaine. She remained silent.

Elaine continued. "You dress up like ah la diablesse."

Valentina flashed Meriam a confused look. "What is la diablesse?" she asked.

Meriam gave her a lesson on folk tales. "It's Caribbean folklore. The la diablesse is a human woman who has one leg which ends as a cow's hoof. She wears a broad-brimmed hat and looks very beautiful. Legend says she casts spells upon men, often luring them to their deaths."