14

Chapter Fourteen: Part 1: A Memory (849 words)

The light brown drapes swagged in ocean-blue, in the family's great room were closed, giving a cosy feeling to the milky, opalescent, pearly room. A marble coffee table's surface came alive as the surrounding colours danced, changing hues as light and shadow played upon them. The occupants' movements caused this brilliant play of light and shadow animating the magical room. Meriam sat beside Elaine, who, after the newscast with Mariana, suffered a frantic spell calling out 'Mildred, Mildred, Mildred, soucouyant, soucouyant, soucouyant'. Everyone calmed her, telling her there was no soucouyant, and she settled after a while. Now, Mr Bastian, Aarav, Meriam and Elma sat discussing Mariana.

"Mariana called me yesterday to ask if I'd seen Valentina. She was looking for her and was very distraught." Mr Bastian said.

"She couldn't call her?" Elma asked.

"She said she called Valentina but her phone was unanswered."

"Strange," Elma said. She put her index finger to her chin and continued. "Valentina's husband came to collect dem girls this morning. Dem were going to a friend's party in Siparia. How on heaven's earth Mariana end up with dem criminals with ammunition?"

Meriam remembered the newscast. "The news said nothing of Valentina or Ana," she said.

Aarav looked at Meriam as he spoke. "If they didn't commit any crime, the news won't mention them," he said.

"What dey doing with dem criminals?" Elma asked.

Aarav glanced at Meriam before speaking. "They were with Dan," he said.

"What dem doing with this, Dan?" Elma asked.

Everyone was quiet.

"I still can't believe that Daniel Dookie involved in that?" Mr Bastian said.

Aarav's semi-full lips curved and straightened. "And we spoke yesterday in Point Fortin. He was very late for the meeting," he said.

"If Dan involved in illegal activities, he better learn to face the consequences." Mr Bastian said.

Everyone grew quiet as Aarav glanced at Meriam.

"And Mariana illegal? I never knew that!" Elma said.

"Me neither. I knew she came to Savannah with Valentina and Ana, but that's it." Mr Bastian said.

"Her brother Pedro once worked for me. Weeks ago I saw her with Ana and learnt she's Pedro's sister." Aarav said.

Meriam remembered the incident that occurred last night in Elaine's room. "She was in Elaine's room last night," she said.

Everyone's faces grew white with shock.

"What?" Elma asked.

"After the lime, I came inside and Elaine was shouting. When I checked, I saw Mariana standing in her room. She said she came to close the windows. The strange thing is I closed that window earlier yesterday evening. There was even a broken glass pane."

Mr Bastian rose and walked towards Elaine's room. "Which one?" he asked.

"The north-western window."

Mr Bastian disappeared towards the corridor, returning a few minutes later, looking confused. He walked towards the dining room. "Strange. I'll get someone to fix that tomorrow. Aarav, come let's have dinner."

Aarav rose and followed him into the dining room. The doorbell sounded in the quiet night and Elma walked to the front door. Moments later, Lauren walked into the living room. Enrique had walked her home and left.