don't leave me

june 8th, 2005

"where are you going mom?" a little girl asked while tears filled her eyes. "i have to leave alice." the woman said.

"for how long?"

"i will be back later. i need to go now!" she yelled. alice looked to the ground instantly.the shouting scared her, she was avoiding her mother's face.

"i will come back soon. i promise." alice's mother crouched down to her level and held her chin.

suddenly there were multiple police cars and vans. loud sirens in the neighborhood. alice's mother stood up and walked towards the window.

"goodbye alice."

"no- wait!" alice yelled.

but it was too late. her mother disappeared into the backyard. there was no stopping her. no matter how hard alice tried to bring her back nothing could work. she was too little.

alice ran to the window and saw the police approaching her house. she also saw other vehicles labeled with the word 'shield'.

suddenly the smoke alarms went off. alice suspected that her mother started a fire to cover any evidence that they were mutants. all they wanted was a normal life. they wanted to be like everyone else. living in peace.

the fire spread extremely fast. alice's lungs were filled with smoke within seconds. she dropped to the ground hoping to reach some oxygen. the front door to her house slammed open and many police and government agents came rushing in.

alice saw three people approaching her. she was scooting away from them in fear. she couldn't stop coughing.

"hello alice. my name is maria hill. i'm not going to hurt you. come on let's get you out of here." a brunette woman said and reached out her hand for alice to grab. alice grabbed it without hesitation because she was in a live or die situation and she most certainly did not want to die at age eight.

maria and two other agents led her outside. "who are you people? how do you know my name? why did you come to my home?" alice asked while trying to catch her breath. she needed answers as to why her mother needed to leave so urgently.

"hi alice. my name is natasha romanoff and this is nick fury, but we call him fury." a redhead in a black tight suit explained to her.

"we work for a place called shield. we are here to help you and your mother. can you tell me where she is?" natasha asked alice.

"she left me."

"when she saw that you were coming she disappeared." alice explained.

"do you know where she could've gone?" maria crouched down.

"no, she likes to keep things to herself." natasha nodded slowly and looked around.

alice turned around to see agents and police running out of her house, which was basically burnt to the ground now.

alice was staring at the house while maria, natasha and fury discussed things.

"we have to take her into custody. right?" natasha said.

"yes we have no other choice, her father died when she was five and she has no other family."

"alice?" fury said.

alice turned around and she had tears in her eyes.

"oh, sweetheart come here." natasha crouched down to her level and motioned her hands so that alice would come to her.

alice speed walked towards natasha and wrapped her arms around her and just cried.
natasha rubbed her back and comforted her as much as she could.

nat stood up with alice still hanging on to her. she walked towards one of the shield vans and sat down in a seat.

"it's ok. you'll be ok. we'll keep you safe..shh." natasha told alice who was still in her arms.

"i want my mommy." alice sniffled.

"i know you do."

the three agents brought alice to maria's apartment building. she was gonna live there until she was old enough to live on her own.

"this will be your room." maria told alice

it was a small room with a twin bed with a white comforter with roses on it, a few posters of the beatles, a dresser and everything else you would need in a bedroom.

"let me know if you want anything different and i can change it for you." maria said she was expecting alice to complain since it's not the ideal bedroom for an eight year old.

"thank you i love it." alice told her and gave her a hug.

"oh- of course dear." maria didn't expect a hug and wasn't a big hugger but still hugged the girl back.