the perfect team

6 MONTHS LATER steve decided to make a perfect team made up of six avengers, train them to their best abilities and take them to lagos, nigeria to attempt to find a hydra agent who natasha, sam and steve are quite familiar with.

wanda emptied a packet of sweetener into her tea and swirled it around with a metal spoon. "alright what do you see?" steve asked on comms.

"standard beat cops. small station. quiet street, it's a good target." wanda replied and turned her head to look at cops leaning against a police car, eating donuts.

"there's an atm on the south corner, which means?" he asked. "cameras." she said while itching her upper lip trying to look nonchalant.

"both cross streets are one-way."

"so, compromised escape routes." i said while setting down a cup of coffee i was drinking, sitting across from pietro at a cafe table.

"means our guy doesn't care about being seen. he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out." steve said while looking at newspapers of a hydra agent, he thought died a couple years ago.

"you guys see that range rover halfway up the block?" steve asked. "yeah, the red one?" pietro asked. "it's cute." wanda added.

"it's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. probably us." natasha reported.

"you guys know i can move things with my mind, right?"

"yes, yes we've been over this." pietro muttered with annoyance in his voice. "looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." nat said quietly.

"anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" sam remarked from the rooftop of a building.

"not to my face. why? did you hear something? alice?" she responded and brought me into the conversation.

"i'm not a part of this." i joked. "eyes on target, folks." steve said with seriousness. "this is the best lead we've had on rumlow in six months. i don't wanna lose him."

sam scoffed, "if he sees us coming that won't be a problem. he kind of hates us."

"sam.. see that garbage truck? tag it." sam did immediately and told red wing to give him x-ray.

"that truck's loaded for max weight. and the driver's armed." sam informed us and natasha spoke up, "it's a battering ram."

"go now."

"what?" wanda and i said at the same time. "he's not hitting the police."

"rumlow has a biological weapon."

"i'm on it." pietro said and sped over to the van where rumlow was. he knocked over four guys and slammed one guy into the van. i was right behind him and got on top of the van and kicked some random agent backwards.

unexpectedly i was grabbed by the hair pulled backwards.

rumlow grabbed on to me and i punched him until i used one of the shockers natasha gave me, but it didn't work somehow. terror overtook my face.

"i don't work like that no more!" he threw me into the van from the ceiling. there were two masked men with very large guns.

"fire in the hole." he said mischievously and dropped a bomb into the van. it ticked and i looked up at the two guys.

they came closer but i kicked one of their heads to the ceiling and he was knocked out. the second one i held to the door and he yelled "no!"

the bomb exploded and i was still alive just coughing on the ground struggling to catch my breath.

"hey, hey, you okay?" pietro came over to me and helped me up.

"yeah, i'm good."

"he's in an afv heading north." steve said into comms groaning in pain.

"come on, let's go." pietro lifted me up bridal style and ran to where rumlow crashed his car where a farmers market was going on. i saw sam fly above us and land on a roof of on of the sellers shops.

"i've got four, they're splitting up."

"i got the two on the left." natasha said while jumping on top of cars chasing after them.

"they ditched their gear. it's a shell game now. one of them has the payload."

sam, pietro and i went after the other two.
"he doesn't have it." i announced. "i'm empty."

"payload secure. thanks sam."

"don't thank me. "

"i'm not thanking that thing." natasha said while shaking her head. "his name is redwing."

"i'm still not thanking it."

"he's cute. go ahead, pet him." he insisted. pietro and i looked at each other with the same weirded out look. that moment only lasted for so little until both of our faces went pale when we watched a big red ball of fire blast into the building.

pietro ran over to wanda who was gasping and holding her hand to her mouth. in shock of what she had just done.

"oh, my.." i heard steve whisper to himself. paper was flying out of the building. over 4 floors were burning, gas escaping through the windows. people were screaming with fear.

"sam.. we need fire and rescue on the south side of the building. we gotta get up there."

wanda had tears in her eyes, and her lip was quivering like crazy.

i guess this team is not so perfect.