Caught

"What were YOU doing at Buck's?" The question made Soda freeze. He'd forgotten Darry wouldn't be happy to know he'd been at the man's place too.

"What was I doing?"

"That's what I asked Sodapop."

"Well -" he was scrambling. Shit, now he was gonna be in trouble.

"Well?"

"Well - at first we went to the movies and was just hanging around. We ran into a couple of girls that said they was going to Buck's for a party."

"Uh Huh. So you tagged along for the ride?"

"Well we were the ones giving rides."

"Sodapop Patrick -"

"Sorry! I mean. Yes Sir, we decided to go with them. Steve offered them a ride and we all went over."

"And you started drinking?"

"Yes Sir. We had a few inside. Then it started getting kinda rowdy so Steve and I decided to go outside where it was quieter." And that's when they found Ponyboy, but Darry already knew that.

"So. The only reason you even caught Pony is because you and Steve were up to no good too?" He heard the boy groan a little, he was remembering how Pony had said something similar. "Answer me, Young man." Stern parent mode was officially in full effect now.

"Yes sir. That's right." 

"Alright." Darry sighed loudly. "I'm still proud of how you handled your brother tonight. But I'm not real pleased to hear about what you've been up too. So you know what that means, don't you?"

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes Sir."

"Now here's the deal. When we hang up you are going to wash up yourself and go straight to bed. I don't want you stepping foot out of that house except to get the grocery shopping done. When I get home Sunday I best find you in my room waiting for me. You got that?"

"Yes Sir...what time you gonna be getting home?"

"I'll get home around three, so you have your butt in that room at quarter till." Sodapop gave another quiet 'yes sir' before they said goodnight to one another and hung up.

"Im so fucking dead." He cursed to himself as he went to take a quick shower and then go to bed.

~~~~~~~

Soda woke up first, so he pulled himself out of bed and into the kitchen to make breakfast. He had a bit of a headache and knew it was from the drinking, he'd need a couple aspirins. Steve was next to wake up, finding his pal cooking up eggs and bacon. "How'd the phone call go?"

Soda let out a groan, "it was going good. Until he asked me why we were at Buck's in the first place."

"He get pissed?"

"He didn't sound pissed. Maybe cause he was tired, I had woken him up. But he made sure I knew he wasn't happy."

"You in trouble now too?"

"Yeah. I got an ass whooping coming my way when Darry gets home." Once he finished cooking, he and Steve made their plates before sitting down. "Man this is the worst too. I gotta wait until tomorrow, thinking about it until it happens."

"You wanna hang out today? Get your mind off it?"

"No. I gotta do the grocery shopping and then I ain't allowed out again."

"Morning kid, how ya feeling?" Steve asked, spotting Ponyboy coming to the table.

"Hungry." Steve laughed at him. He could annoy the shit out of Steve, but the kid was kinda cute when he was still half asleep and pouting for food.