Shepard

Being left alone was going pretty well for the boys. It had only been two days so far since Darry had left, but he called at supper time each day to check on them. "How's the hotel? Is it really nice?" Ponyboy asked when they were on the phone the second evening Darry had been gone.

"It's huge. It's got three floors and fancy chandeliers."

"Does it have a pool?"

"Indoor and outdoor. It's even got a gym for guests to workout."

"Wow. You gone to it?"

"I'm working Ponyboy."

"Oh yeah."

"Yeah I've gone!"  Darry laughed, as if it was obvious. "The indoor pool is heated too. You'd love it."

"I can still come this weekend right?"

"I think so, you'd have to share a room with me though."

"I already share a room with Sodapop. It won't be that bad."

"And you've been doing as Soda says?"

"Yeah. He's not as bossy as you. So it's easy."

"Bossy? Me?"

"You're super bossy." It was Ponyboy's turn to laugh.

"Speaking of Soda. What's he doing?"

"He's got Holly over. They're outside on the porch."

"Go get him, I'd like to talk to him for a bit."

"One second." He let go of the phone - letting it hang from the receiver as he went onto the front porch. "You guys are so gross!"

Soda slid away from Holly on the front porch swing, and Holly started to button up her blouse. "What do you want Ponyboy?" Soda asked, a little irritated.

"Darry wants to talk to you."

"Coming," he grabbed Holly's hand and they went inside the house.

"You like when he does that?" Ponyboy asked.

"Does what?" Holly asked back.

Ponyboy shrugged awkwardly, "kissing and touching you like that."

"Yes...why?" She could see Pony was thinking hard on something.

"No reason."

"You got a crush on a girl?" Ponyboy's face turned bright red, giving away his answer. "What's her name?"

"It doesn't matter. She's in high school and a Soc."

"Why does that matter? Look at Soda and I."

"Yeah but that's different. Soda is really good looking."

"You're cute too Ponyboy." She smiled and ruffled up his hair a little.

On the phone, Darry and Soda were talking about how the past two days have been going. "How's work?" Darry asked Soda.

"Busy, but I made really good tips. You're not working too hard are you?"

"One bundle of roofin' at a time." Darry laughed at Soda's attempt at a stern 'better keep it that way'. "Ponyboy giving you any trouble?"

"No. He's been really good. The other night I said he couldn't go out with Two-Bit and he didn't even argue about it."

"Just keep an eye on him, never know if he's gonna decide to push your buttons. Two weeks is a lot longer than a weekend, and you remember how that went."