After the station

The drive home was silent, Darry didn't even turn on the radio. The man just kept his hands tight on the steering wheel and looked straight ahead. Ponyboy tried talking to Soda at first, but even Soda wouldn't answer him. He just gave him a look and said, "quiet Ponyboy."

When they got home, Dally and Johnny crashed in the living room. Dally had Johnny take the couch, and he fell into the recliner with an embarrassingly loud yelp. Ponyboy went to the kitchen and put the ice pack in the trash - it was only a single use one. "Darry really pissed?" He asked Soda, who came in behind him.

"He was worried Ponyboy. So was I. You shoulda seen how fast he ran outta here. Not knowing if you were okay, if you'd been hurt, if you were gonna get charged and have the Case worker down our throats." He watched Ponyboy pick at his shirt. "Go to Darry's room like he said."

"Soda please - can't you try and get Darry to let up?"

Soda's eyes hardened a little, "No. you were so stupid tonight Ponyboy! I can't believe you!" Soda was mad too, but he didn't show it until Ponyboy tried to use him in order to help the kid get outta trouble. "You lied to me and Darry about where you were going! And went to a party with drinking and knowing the crowd Dally runs with - drugs."

"I wasn't gonna do none of that."

"You think the cops care about that? They can bust you for just being there around it!" Ponyboy was about to argue more but Soda turned him around and landed five really hard smacks. They lifted Ponyboy to his toes, "stop with all the lip little boy. Go to Darry's room like he said before I really spank you!" Ponyboy started to hurry away, "wait -"

Ponyboy turned around and looked at his brother, and then whined softly. "No Soda, it's so stupid." Soda was holding a quarter.

"To make sure you stay put. Do I need to help you find that corner?"

Ponyboy came and took the coin, "No Sir." And then he trudged slowly to Darry's room. Soda knowing Pony would do as instructed, the look on the kid's face was enough to let him know that.

"Pick it up Ponyboy," Darry said seeing Ponyboy come out of the kitchen. He was cleaning up Johnny's hands and putting some gauze on them. They must've gotten cut up when he grabbed the cage in the police car earlier in the night.

"What's that for?" Johnny asked seeing Pony staring at the coin as he walked a little faster. He winced when Darry dabbed rubbing alcohol on his cuts.

Dally turned to look at Pony and grinned, remembering. Darry looked up, and saw the same sight and couldn't help but laugh. "You piss Soda off in there?"

"He wanted me to weasel him outta trouble." Soda said as he came out of the kitchen.

"Looks like it got him in more trouble, get on." Darry nodded towards his bedroom door.

"I'm going," Ponyboy groaned loudly.

And then he disappeared into Darry's room, Johnny still looking confused. Darry smiled a little as he wrapped up the boy's hands. "He's gotta hold it to the wall with his nose."

"Damn. That's real mean, ain't it?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah. But it works." Darry let go of Johnny's hands, finished. "Your turn." He looked at Dally and his cut up face.

"Hell, I'll be fine."

"Not if they get infected," Soda retorted. "I'll clean Dally up. You go on and deal with Ponyboy."

"Nah. Imma let him squirm for a bit, he hated that coin the first time. So I'll let him enjoy it a little while tonight." He let Soda take over still, and just leaned against the sofa with Johnny - who was dozing off.