Teenage Rebellion

It was almost ten o'clock when Ponyboy finally got home. Which wouldn't have been a problem, except he forgot to call Darry to say he was gonna be later than eight. He could stay out until ten-thirty during the summer, but he was supposed to check in at a certain time so Darry knew where he was and that he'd be staying out late.

"Where have you been?" Darry went straight into lecturing the second Ponyboy was in the door.

"I told you last night? I was going to the carnival all day with Johnny."

"Ponyboy Curtis, you have any idea what time it is?!"

He looked at the clock and then realized what had happened. "Oh. I'm sorry Darry, I forgot to call."

"Ponyboy how many times have I said to call if you're gonna be out past eight?! I need to know where you are and that you're okay!"

"It's only two hours Darry! I forgot, I'm sorry!" Ponyboy's voice rose a little, he hated how much Darry got onto him. It's like no matter how good they'd been doing, he'd find some reason to yell at the boy after awhile.

"Watch the tone Ponyboy Michael! I don't care how long it was, you will mind what I say or you can stay home!"

"That's not fair! I didn't do it on purpose!" He pushed passed Darry to go to his room, "you're such a jerk!"

Darry grabbed his arm and spun him around, taking a deep breath to calm himself. "I'm not trying to be a jerk," he had lowered his voice. "But it's my job to watch out for you. So if I say to call and check in. Then you call and check in."

"Let go of me," he jerked his arm away - pissed off. Unlike Darry who was able to get his irritation under control to talk calmly and maturely - Ponyboy had teenage hormones and sparks of rebellion stirring inside him. "I don't even see why I need to call in the first place! You don't make Soda call, he just gets a curfew to be home by."

"Soda's older than you are, so not everything is gonna be the same."

"It's stupid!"

"Don't raise your voice to me." He had to work to keep his own voice steady, the attitude he received was putting his nerves in end. He didn't always mind if Ponyboy was yelling - he understood sometimes Ponyboy just got loud when he was venting his feelings. But he wouldn't tolerate Ponyboy yelling at him, especially with that attitude.

"Well it is!"

"Ponyboy this is the last time imma tell you to loose the attitude. I don't care if you think it's stupid or think it's not fair. Those are the rules, when you're older they will change."

"Well I'm not gonna follow them!"

"Okay. Then you're grounded."

"No."

"No?"

"No. I'm not gonna be grounded. Cause the rule is dumb, and I'll just leave whenever I want. You can't make me stay at home."

"I don't think you understand how this works little boy." He grabbed Ponyboy's arm once more, but this time he marched him right out the door. "You don't get to decide the rules or if you want to follow them. I don't care if you think it's stupid or not." He pushed Ponyboy a little when they got to a tree in the yard, "I have these rules for a reason. They aren't for my enjoyment." He pulled out his switchblade and put it in Ponyboy's hand, "cut and clean me a switch."

"No way! You're not being fair -!"

"I'm not? I gave you multiple chances to loose your little attitude. Not to mention I was only going to ground you at first. But instead you keep trying to argue with me. You're yelling at me, and frankly acting like a small child. If you don't do it - I'll cut two instead."