Calm before the storm

They finished their shopping trip in record time, Soda didn't allow any wandering around the store today. He wanted to get back home quickly to make sure he didn't miss any phone calls from Darry.

When they got back home, they worked together and put the groceries away. "I'll do the dishes from breakfast now." Ponyboy offered, and Soda was grateful the kid wasn't gonna put up a fight today about the chores.

"Thanks. I'm gonna get started on some laundry and then head outside to start cleaning the gutters. That's gonna take me hours."

"I can help you if you want?"

"I'd love some help. But Darry made it clear the outside work was for me to do alone. It's part of me being in trouble."

"Oh...well then I'll do all the chores inside! I'll even clean our room myself!" Ponyboy felt really bad that Soda was in so much trouble and wanted to try and make up for it a little. He still felt it was kind of his fault. If he hadn't snuck out then Darry wouldn't have know Soda was ever at Buck's.

Sodapop smiled and nodded, "alright. But if you need help you come get me." Then they got to work.

Soda spent the entire morning outside just doing the gutters, they hadn't been touched since September so it was a lot of work. He knew this was a punishment as soon as he got started - it was gonna take most the day just to do this! Sodapop was real grateful Ponyboy offered to take care of the inside chores now. Once they were allowed out the house again, he'd take the kid to the nice inside movie theater to thank him.

It was just after eleven and Ponyboy had taken out a load of dry clothes when the phone rang. He put the laundry basket on the couch and then hurried to answer it. "Curtis residence."

"Hey Ponyboy."

"Hey Darry! Are you having a good time? You still fishing?"

"I'll go back to fishing in a few hours. Right now we're at a diner getting lunch. Is Soda there?"

"No. He's not here right now."

"He's not there?"

Ponyboy realized how that came out and started to panic, backtracking. "No! I mean, he's here. He's just not inside. He's outside. He's been cleaning the gutters all morning. Do you want me to go get him?"

"Yes."

"Okay, hold on." He let the phone hang as he ran to go and get Soda. "Soda!" He called, Sodapop was currently digging out another handful of leaves and shoving them in a trashbag.

He looked down from the ladder he'd borrowed from their neighbor. "Yeah Pone? You alright?"

"Darry's on the phone. He wants to talk to you." Soda nodded and hurried down the ladder. He sat the trashbag down and wiped his hands clean. "You almost done?"

"Ugh. It's probably gonna be two hours before it'll be done. Then I gotta cut the grass." They went inside and Soda grabbed the phone and put it to his ear. "I'm here Darry."

"That how you always answer the phone?"

"No. I just - I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I'm just..."

"Just what buddy?"

"I'm just a little on edge I guess."

"I know. Only thing worse than getting your butt tanned is having to wait for it." Sometimes Soda forgot Darry had been a kid himself not that along ago, and he was no stranger to getting into trouble with their parents.

"Guess I can't talk you outta of it?"

"Not a chance Sodapop, you got this coming. I told you last time I caught you at Buck's I'd make you one sorry kid."