Open house

Summer was coming to an end, which meant Ponyboy and Sodapop had open house at their schools to get their class schedules and school supplies list.

"I'm dropping out as soon as I turn sixteen in October, coming here is a waste of time." Sodapop reiterated the statement for what felt like the thousandth time that summer. 

"And until you turn sixteen, you'll be going to school. Besides, I thought you'd give high school another chance now that you have a college girl."

Sodapop gave a small shrug at the mention of Holly. They'd actually broken up a week earlier, they'd gone to dinner and she told him she was transferring to Oklahoma State. That they could still call one another and wrote, but she thought for the moment they'd be better off seeing other people.  "Yeah well...." He hadn't told Darry yet, had just been wallowing in his own self-pity.

"Well what? Did something happen?" Darry asked as he picked up Sodapop's class schedule and supply list from the front desk. 

"She's transferring to Oklahoma state."

"That's good." For her.

"So she thinks we should start seeing other people." He said sourly.

Darry stopped his walk towards the front door and turned to look at his brother, "when did this happen?"

"Last week."

"Why didn't you say something sooner?"

Sodapop just shrugged, "it's just some girl, no reason to make a fuss over it like a wuss."

"Sodapop," Darry put an arm around his brother's shoulder and sighed softly. "It's not just some girl. You really liked her - didn't you?" Sodapop nodded, "then it matters. You shouldn't keep those feelings to yourself. We're always on Ponyboy about bottling stuff up - well that goes for you too."

They started walking again, and Sodapop didn't speak until they'd gotten in the truck. "It sucks." Was what he finally said. "I really liked her and I thought she really liked me too."

Ponyboy, who had been waiting in the truck - was now throughly confused. "What's wrong?"

Darry just reached over Ponyboy, patting Sodapop on the shoulder. "I know it sucks little buddy. I'm sure she did like you - but you're both at different points in your life. You should try to find a girl your age next time, yeah?"

Ponyboy was able to deduce that Sodapop and Holly must've broken up - and he was smart enough not to comment further. "Yeah. No more college girls," he smiled a little but his eyes were still sad.

"If you want to talk about it, you know I'll listen okay?" Darry said as he started to pull out of the school parking lot and towards Pony's school.

"I know Dar'. Thanks."

"After we get your schedule and supplies list, we'll go to the store to get the shopping done." Darry turned his attention to Ponyboy.

"I need a new backpack too... My old one is falling apart."

"I'll stop by the second hand shop, I'm sure they've got a bunch, you can pick one out."

"Okay." Ponyboy turned to look at Sodapop, he wanted to ask if he was okay - but felt it was a stupid question. He turned back to face the road and just listened to the radio playing quietly.

When they got to the middle school, he and Darry went inside together. Sodapop stayed in the truck to wait, not wanting to go in. "Let's see who your home room teacher is too, and then we can go meet them before we leave."

"Do we have to?" Ponyboy asked with a groan, it was embarrassing to him to have his brother introduce himself to his teachers as his guardian. It still felt weird to him.