Date night

"I get off at two today, but Holly is gonna pick me up so we can go bowling together." Soda said over breakfast with Darry, he'd gotten up early with his brother that morning. He had to be at work at eight so he got up the same time as Darry so they could eat together.

"Is that all you'll be doing?"

Sodpaop groaned a little, he did not like having the 'talk' with his big brother. "I've got the stuff you bought for me. I keep one in my wallet."

"I still don't think you're ready for sex if you can't even say the word condom." Sodapop didn't answer, he didn't even look up from his cereal. "But you're gonna do whatever you want in that regard. I can't stop you. Just remember what we've talked about."

"I will. You don't gotta remind me everytime we go on a date."

"Yes I do. We can't afford for you to get her pregnant because you forgot." Soda couldn't stop the eye roll at Darry's nagging, he thought sometimes Darry could be over-bearing. "What was that?"

"Nothing. I won't forget, I know what can happen. You made sure not to leave out any detail the first time you explained it to me."

"You can say the word sex, Sodapop."

"Ugh shut up already," he covered his ears to solidify the fact Darry was causing him pain and humiliation.

Darry laughed at the sight of his brother - mortified. Had their parents been alive it would be there dad giving the safe sex talk and warning Soda about unwanted pregnancies and STDs while Darry would get to be the cool big brother Soda gave intimate details too. But as he was reminded yet again, that dynamic had changed over the last two years. Now Darry was the annoying parental figure who lectured him on safety, and any mention of the word 'sex' was morifying.

"It's not a dirty word Sodapop."

"It's weird talking to you about it. Please save me my dignity and change the subject. Please."

"Alright alright." Darry agreed, still grinning. "I've got to get going. I'll see you at dinner?"

"Uhm..."

"Curfew is eleven."

"Okay," he smiled a little at that, "see you later. Have a good day at work."

~~~~~~~

After work, Holly showed up to the DX to pick up Sodapop. He changed his clothes in the breakroom, he'd bring them home tomorrow after his shift. He had another clean shirt and jeans he could wear tomorrow.

He washed his face and hands up in the bathroom and then met his girlfriend at her car. "Hey baby," she said when he opened the passenger door and slipped into his seat.

"Hey babe," he leaned in and gave her a kiss. "How was your day?"

"Just one class today. Adolescent Psychology."

"Maybe you can tell me why my kid brother has been so much trouble lately then."

"Puberty. Same reason you're such a horn dog!" She gave him a playful slap. She was driving but he'd leaned over to kiss her neck and run a hand under her dress.

"It's your fault. You've created a monster." He laughed, but stopped and sat back when she pushed him away. He'd gotten more handsy and bold with his moves, but if she said 'stop' or pushed him away then he wouldn't try to keep going. Unlike some other greasers, including a few of his own friends, Sodapop wouldn't do something a girl wasn't comfortable with.

"You're sweet, have I told you that lately?" She really loved the way Sodapop respected her. He wasn't as shy as he had been when they first started seeing one another - but he still made sure she was always comfortable with him.