Face the music pt 2

"OW!" Sodapop shot up instantly, the pain that blossomed in his bottom was like hell fire! He managed to get out from under Darry's hand and scramble to the other side of the bed, kneeling behind it as if he could hide there safely.

Darry clutched the belt in his hand, he needed to stay calm. "Sodapop, get back over here." His voice was tight, laced with irritation.

"N-no!"

"Excuse me?"

"No!" He said firmly, but then ducked behind the bed childishly, hiding. 

"Soda I know it hurts, but that's the point! Now get over here!"

"Only if you drop that THING!"

"This is not up for a discussion or for negotiation! One!" Sodapop peeked out from behind the bed, eyeing his brother cautiously. "Two!" He ducked back down, "three!" He walked around the bed and snatched Soda up from the floor.

"At least lower the number?!"

"Sodapop Patrick you are not wiggling your way out of what you've earned! And if you keep this up Imma add more!" He made the kid lean back over the bed and landed a hard SWAP to Soda's thighs.

"Fuck!" The one to his legs hurt even more and he tried to get up again, only this time Darry was ready.

He pushed Soda back down and landed a third strike. "Watch the mouth young man!"

Soda tried to wiggled around and get free, "It HURTS! I can't help it! OW!" He started to kick his legs at the pain. Darry picked Sodapop back up, seeing he wasn't going to stop struggling any time soon, and tucked him under his arm. "Darrrryyy!" He whined at the manhandling.

"Now!" He landed a strike that hit Soda's legs and made the kid holler. "I have made it VERY clear that you're to stay clear of Buck Meryl's!" He started to lecture his brother as he landed another heavy WHAP of the leather belt. Soda already had tears falling, he'd never hurt so bad! "And You know the rules about drinking!"

"I'm sorry!" Sodapop grabbed Darry's shirt and buried his face into it. His backside was on fire and he hated how small Darry could make him feel with just a few words and a good hidin'.

"I bet you are now! I do not like repeating myself Sodapop! You'll be getting this belt every day for a week if I ever find out you been drinking and hanging around Buck's again!" It was an empty threat, but Soda took it seriously.

"No! I swear it won't ever happen again!"

Sodapop broke down into loud sobs not only because his bottom and thighs were burning, but because Darry added, "I'm disappointed in how you acted." As soon as he said it, Soda stopped fighting in Darry's grip and accepted his fate - but he still kicked his feet and cried out at each bite of the leather against his now tender skin. "You're supposed to be setting a better example for Ponyboy as the big brother. I'm not surprised he's getting a little rebellious and sneaking off where he don't belong when his big brother does it!" Darry turned his head to try and get a better look at Soda's face. Of course he couldn't see it - the boy's face was buried in his flannel and was wailing loudly, both shoulders shaking with heavy cries. "Three more little buddy."

"I can't -" he was going to say he couldn't handle three more, but it was interrupted with another wail. Darry had landed a swing and it hit the back of his thighs painfully. Just like Ponyboy, Soda would've bet money that his ass was black and blue from how badly it hurt.

Darry let go of Soda, and he dared to look back to try and get a look. He caught a glimpse from the mirror in the bedroom and was shocked to only see a bunch of angry red lines that covered his bottom to just above his knees. "I know. It feels worse than it looks." Darry knew what Soda was doing, he'd been in the same spot as him before. Darry recalled that day when their dad belted him in the police station - he'd come home and checked his bottom out in the bathroom mirror - shocked to find it was only a deep red.

Soda didn't even bother trying to right his pants, he just shoved his face into Darry's chest and cried. "I'm really sorry! I'm never gonna go to buck's again! I don't want Ponyboy doing wrong cause of me!" He blubbered out more promises as Darry reached down and pulled the kid's boxers and jeans back up. Soda gritted his teeth at the pain it caused but didn't move from his hold on Darry.

"I know baby, come here." Darry moved to sit down on the bed and pulled Soda into his arms. "Deep breaths now. Shhh." He ran his hand through the boy's hair and rocked him gently. His brothers would never be to old to be hugged and babied in his opinion.

Soda didn't care if he looked like the biggest cry baby on earth. He pressed into Darry's hug and used his hands to rub at his aching bottom. When he'd finally calmed down enough to talk, he looked up to see Darry had tears of his own. That just made Soda feel guilty all over again, knowing how much Darry hated this. He was usually real good about hiding his emotions, but when he had to give a harsher punishment it always got to him. Soda knew Darry hated whooping them and making them cry. But they were young boys, and it proved the most effective way of getting them to listen.

"Don't you go crying on me now." Soda tried to make the older boy smile. "Besides, I'm the one whose not gonna sit down for a week."

Darry wiped his face clean and cracked a grin, "seems like you're feeling better already?"

"I just don't like seeing you upset too. It's my fault I got in trouble. But then you go and get all teary eyed. All cause of me." Sodapop pushed back from Darry so he could sit up straight, "you weren't kidding when you said dad's belt was like hellfire."

"See? Big brothers are always right about these things."  He let Sodapop stand up. "Have you boys had lunch yet?"

Soda shook his head, watching Darry hang the belt back into his closet. "No. By the time we finished cleaning I had to come and wait for you."

"Go wake up Ponyboy and we can go out for lunch."

"Really?!" They didn't go out for lunch often, it was expensive.

"Yeah. Hurry before I change my mind." He smiled as he watched Soda run out of the room to get their kid brother.

"Ponyboy wake up!" He shook the kid awake.

"Huh? Soda?" He sat up, pouting. "Are you okay?" Sodapop's face was still red and puffy from his crying.

He made a little grimace at the question, "hurts like hell. Don't be dumb like me and earn yourself an introduction with daddy's belt. You thought mama's brush was bad? It'll be a miracle if I ever sit right again."

Ponyboy sat up in the bed and threw the covers off himself, "Why'd you wake me up anyways?"

"Darry said he'll take us out for lunch!" That got the kid up, going out to eat was a rare treat in the Curtis home.

"Really? Where?" He got out of bed excitedly.

"Not sure, he didn't say. Just told me to wake you up." They headed out their bedroom and found Darry in the living room, waiting for them.

"You guys ready?"

"Yeah!" Soda said, grabbing his shoes and putting them on quickly.

"Where we gonna go?" Ponyboy asked as he grabbed his own shoes.

"Burgers sound good?"

"Yes!" Ponyboy said, even more excited as he raced out the door to hurry to the truck. The action made Darry laugh and follow him out, Soda close behind.

Ponyboy got into the middle seat of the truck as usual and then Soda climbed in beside him. "Shit -" he winced when he sat down, his ass on fire. Pony watched as Soda shifted around in discomfort, Darry really did let him have it.

"Watch that cussing Sodapop. Unless you want to brush your teeth with soap?" Darry said as slid into the driver's seat.

"No Sir! Sorry, it just hurts really bad."

"Mmhm." Darry rolled his eyes as he fired to truck to life and then drove off towards their favorite burger joint.