49

Saturday, the last weekend before summer vacation ended and all the children in town had to go back to school.  Buck was letting some high schoolers throw a party at his place, for a fee of course. And everyone was invited. Soda and Ponyboy hadn't been to Buck's in months, not since they'd gotten in trouble for it the last time.

Soda hadn't felt the urge to go either, not until this weekend. It was a party at Buck's, but it wasn't actually one of Buck's parties. It was just the venue, and Soda felt that made it different - but he knew Darry wouldn't see it that way.

So, Soda had devised the perfect plan to get himself at that party. "After work tonight, is it alright if I go and stay at Steve's?" He didn't have work, but he would go to Steve's after the party.

"Sure, you got work tomorrow too?"

"Nah. So I'll have Steve give me a ride home later tomorrow," after he slept off his hangover.

"Alright then."

"Thanks Darry!"

"You need a ride to work this evening?"

"Nah. I'll walk today." Cause he was walking to Two-Bit's to meet up with the guys and go to the party all together.

"Alright."

When it was time to go, Soda put on a normal tee shirt under his button-up DX shirt, he could take it off at the party or Two-Bit's and get it back later. "I'm heading out now!"

Darry looked up from the television to see his brother heading for the door, "see you tomorrow."

"See ya!"

Soda pretty much jogged the entire way to his friend's house, ecstatic about the party and that he got away with his lie. He would feel guilty normally, but he just reminded himself that it wasn't actually Buck's party. It was a party at Buck's.

When he got to Two-Bit's, the guys were already outside waiting for him, "this party must be starting pretty early Huh?" Soda asked, it wasn't even three yet.

"Yeah. The Soc throwing it is going all out. Booze, food, the whole works. Even talked Buck into letting him bring a projector to play old movies on." Steve said.

"Pony would love that," Sodapop said and then felt a pang of guilt. He'd also lied to Ponyboy about what he was doing tonight. He'd told both his brothers he had work and then was going to Steve's - and told Ponyboy that's why they couldn't hang out tonight.

"Let's get going before all the food gets taken." Dally said and then led the way.

"Movies will probably stop when it gets late, switch over to music." Steve reminded, trying to cheer his friend back up.

"Yeah you're right. Doubt many people will watch them in the first place, and it'll probably be way to loud to hear it good." Sodapop said.

When they got to Buck's the party seemed to have already started. The place was filled with high schoolers weaving around one another. Some were drinking already, most were eating something they'd grabbed from a table, and all of them were laughing and talking loudly over a movie playing against the large wall.

Dally spotted Buck in a corner of the room, drinking a beer and scowling a little. Even if he'd accepted this and was getting paid to host the party location - he didn't much care for the copious amounts of teenagers milling around. "Looks like he's in a bad mood."

Two-bit cocked a grin and waved stupidly at Buck, who just let his scowl deepen before turning away from them. "He'll lighten up as the night goes on. Especially if he keeps drinking." Two-Bit said before a pretty girl walked past them, "hey doll face! Wait up!" And then he was gone.